Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
I scouted MB today - no water in the timber whatsoever and i covered alot a ground. I did see some birds flying down the potomac, wh/ is lowwww. Where do you launch a boat to access the river there - thanks.

·
Registered
783 Posts
It'll take rain of biblical proportions to flood that place. Even the creeks that run through are desert dry. The only water I saw there was the big pond. The best strategy is to carefully wade out in the Potomac and hunt standing on the river bottom, as it is only waist deep.

·
Registered
707 Posts
BE CAREFUL saying that. you cannot just "carefully wade out into the potomac" because it is illegal to cross the c&o canal with a firearm. you have to cross at dnr designated points.

i scouted tuesday and was dragging my canoe across the rocks in the middle of the potomac. i don't see how any boat will get between seneca breaks and great falls - no launch has water.

mike

edit: and be sure to read where the urban areas are in montgomery county because you cannot discharge a firearm on the potomac below where watts branch flows into the potomac. but the county commsion can change the definition of where an urban area is every year. this is a mo. co. law not mddnr.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mike, I beleive you can cross w/ an unloaded and cased firearm, but check the regs....I could be wrong.....and it wouldn't be the first time[tongue]. There is a flood watch all weekend, so I don't think I'll be wading int he potomac. I've seen that river get nasty QUCIK, while (wet wading)smallmouth fishing in the summer. MAybe a canoe/kayak to one of the legal island would be worth it.....I've got plan "B" and "C" in the works and looking good.

Fin....You can launch a conoe/flat bottom from MB and the end of the road near the turnaround in the back.

Looks like I may try it Monday if it rains enough. I thought DNR flooded it from the Potomac? Maybe the river is too low to flood?

·
Registered
783 Posts
Its my understanding that in general, it is illegal to cross the C&O with a firearm. However, I've only accessed the river with a firearm from the nearby boat ramps so I know it is legal that way.

The weekend rain will definitely throw a wrench into wading the Potomac.

I cant imagine there would be enough water south of the Breaks to float anything.

Im hunting a private blind tomorrow. Good luck guys.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just to confirm.

You must have guns unloaded and cased and can only cross the C&O canal at designated points. They are strict, they will ticket, and the fine stings. Also, if you insist on hunting on the MD side of the river, you cannot even store a backpack on shore, much less step foot on the bank while hunting. They are very serious about these rules and violating them does not bode well for hunter/non-hunter relations and future hunting privledges.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Does anyone know if MB got any rain this weekend. I looked at the Potomac river gauges and it did not look like the rain even put a dent in them

1 - 13 of 13 Posts