Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
November 15 is the deer youth day in Maryland. Neither me nor my boys have ever hunted deer before, but my oldest boy (13 yrs.) wants to try it. So, anybody have a spot that my boy could hunt (while everyone is hunting geese) and also give us a little advice too, since we have never hunted deer before.

Thanks,
Doug

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Doug,

That's great that your 13 y/o wants to deer hunt. Even though its only a week away, I'd make sure you get your son some time at a range to get "comfortable" with the gun he'll use. Aiming a rifle or slug gun is different than pointing a regular shotgun. And losing a deer feels a whole lot worse than losing a duck, so shot placement (knowing where to aim), knowing the range/limitations of the weapon are critical. Things happen, but you want to make sure that his first deer kill is as clean and humane as possible. After the shot, assuming its not kicking on the ground, you'll want to pay careful attention to how the deer reacted, where it was standing when it was hit, where exactly it ran. (Things look different once you get on the ground and start looking. I have had many "guaranteed shots" where I ended up back in the stand trying to remember exactly which crooked pine tree I last saw the deer run past.) Wait a while before going to look for the deer so you don't push them further- a good shot and the deer will be dead within seconds, but it only takes being a few inches off to change the equation.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts