Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heading to my property tomorrow to throw out some corn, check the stand. Man am I pumped!! Can't wait. Would have liked to get down there earlier, but work has been busy, new baby, getting ready to move, etc.

Looking fowrd to sitting in the woods!!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Never trust a forecast 10 days prior - things could and probably will totally change by then...

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Good luck but in my book hunting over a pile of corn is cheating. In Va. we can't even hunt near a mineral lick much less over a pile of bait.

DEAN

·
Registered
167 Posts
I am ready !!!! The other seasons are always a good break from a bow. The last shot I had last year was a 110yrd shot on a 105 pound doe. I cant wait !

·
Registered
294 Posts
In Baltimore county were unlimited on the does and a special doe season for them next week also.

Corn works and yes it's a personal decision to use it, in MD we have that special privlege and I know quite a few that take advantage of it.

Corn brings in the does and than here comes the bucks!!!!!!!!

Bill[grin]

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UGH!!! Change of plans, we are currently buying a house and they moved the settlement up to the 19th!! It was the 27th. So instead of hunting I will be moving. I may get out Thurs morning at a local friends farm. Not nearly as good as my property on the shore, but there are some monster bucks there.

·
Registered
84 Posts
ketch69 feels that baiting is cheating! I guess this also applies to food plots as they also focus deer activity.

[Q]ketch69 originally wrote:
Good luck but in my book hunting over a pile of corn is cheating. In Va. we can't even hunt near a mineral lick much less over a pile of bait.

DEAN
[/Q]

But sittin in the pickup up on the shoulder of the road while FIDO goes out and does your hunting for you and runs them by your gun aint cheatin!! [wink]

Here's his post on dogs running deer. And hunting FOOD PLOTS!

We heard dogs running hard this afternoon just before deer came to the plot we were sitting on. This time of year when the nights start getting cool its gonna happen. I too run hounds during the firearms season so maybe I can deal with it better than those that don't.

DEAN

For some ODD reason I believe that if he COULD bait he WOULD bait!!!!!

JM2C

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
finfinder

You gonna tell me that if I go out on my 9.9 acres, work for three years clearing 3 small areas doing as little harm to my property as possible. Then working for the next 2 years spreading lime and fertilizer then working to get seed to grow is the same as dumping a pile of corn on the ground and then climbing a tree near by I guess that you just don't value the hunting heritage the same as I do.

DEAN

·
Registered
14 Posts
[Q]ketch69 originally wrote:

DEAN
[/Q]Why is it cheating?Just because you wont do it?You say you have a food plot and I bet you put in alot of work to get the deer to come in it.Now tell me what happens if they wind you,see you,hear you?Thats right ....long gone!.Why now if someone uses corn it isn't the same.You still have to hunt,and hunt right to see them.
I think alot of people have this opinion about baiting,don't know why they do but they need to get a clue.

·
Registered
84 Posts
ketch69

WTF does food plottting have to do with heritage? The intent of my post was just to point out the double standard. Baiting is baiting, whether you spend 2 years or 2 minutes in the effort.

Some would say that hound hunting is cheating. The dog does all the hunting and the hunter simply makes the kill.

I say if its legal and the method you prefer then more power to you.

I hunt over bait and off, over food plots, spot and stalk, in treestands, out of ground blinds and if given the chance I would hunt in front of the hounds. Hell, I'm just a hunter that will give anything a try as long as it doesnt get me locked up!

As a matter of fact, do yourself a favor and plant some late apples and persimmon trees on the edge of your plots. That would be your legacy to the next generation of hunters that decided to continue the heritage of hunting on your property. And they make a great "naturally baited" area to set up your stand!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Throwing out some corn 9 days before the season opens does not sound like sitting on a pile of corn.Its more than likely all gone by now anyway.Nothing wrong with trying to keep some deer in the area.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I almost didn't read this post but Iam glad I did as I love when a post goes OT.

Lets face it.....PA, MD, and VA are worlds apart in the hunting community......as far as regs go.

PA.....no semi-auto rifles, 3 points a side, flintlocks, no bait?

MD......they have finally figure out that we just need to shoot deer.

VA.......dogs, hillbillies posing as hunters joining clubs that have over 100 members hunting a 1000 acres of pine mountain.

What is a pile of corn........not a deer magnet........more likey to be eaten be something else.........squirrels, turkey, and racoons (sorry *****) on my property.

Mark

Ma

1 - 14 of 14 Posts