Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think this is a good thing. Can we depend on the DNR to always do the right thing?

03/15/2007

ANNAPOLIS, Md. (AP)- Diamondback terrapins got a pardon Thursday, when Maryland's House and Senate gave final approval to bills banning commercial harvesting of the state's favorite turtle.

The bills would end the state's short commercial season for terrapins, which thrive in brackish waters around the Chesapeake Bay but are in decline. The bill passed the House 127-10; a similar version passed the Senate 43-2.

Some opposed the ban, saying terrapins should be protected by the state Department of Natural Resources, not through the law.

"A number of my constituents said this is a bad idea," said Delegate Adelaide Eckardt, an Eastern Shore Republican who voted against the ban.

Sponsors of the ban acknowledged that the commercial catch of terrapins is small, but that the species needs all the help it can get when faced with habitat decline and other threats.

"We might lose one animal in our ecosystem, which is simply not acceptable," said Delegate Virginia Clagett, D-Anne Arundel, who sponsored one of the bans.

The House and Senate will have to reconcile minor differences in the two bans before sending it to Gov. Martin O'Malley for final approval.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Well that will help one of many that need help. The question I would like to ask the rep who voted against it. Is how can the DNR inpose a ban? When as soon as they do. One of the Delagetes puts pressure on them to remove it. It was done where it needed to be done. then they can't hide behind smoking mirrors. Their vote puts them right out where every one can see. And thats what he really didn't want.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts