Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since MD opens at different times than VA what are the regulations if you want to run up to MD and catch rock during their season? What happens if you catch and keep stripers legally in MD then run back to your home port in VA? Is that a problem if you get checked? Do you have to "prove" you caught them in MD? How do you do that?

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool
245 Posts
Wish I had your answer. I'm really curious to. I'll be putting in at reedville or lewisetta during the MD season, so I'm curious as to how to handle this.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Here is what I have been told in the past, and someone correct me if I am wrong. When you leave Maryland waters, put all put of your rodnreels away. Go directly to your home port.....do not stop and fish in VA waters, and in no way look like you are going to fish VA waters. I know that is not a comforting answer, but that is the only answer I have ever heard given to that question. Sometimes they do sit at the mouth of the Yeocomico and stop people at the end of the day, I suspect the same for the Coan. In that situation I would just tell them I was coming from MD waters.

·
Registered
187 Posts
That's right. Once you finish in MD, head straight back to your home port in VA. Do not pass Go, Do not collect 200 dollars as they say in Monopoly. If you stop in VA and drop a line, it is presumed you caught your fish in VA and are subject to getting a ticket.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Ditto response here..I usually drop in over at smithpoint and run to maryland.. Several charters also do this and have never had any trouble.. But as stated ...Do not drop a line in VA. waters....Times a gettin close catch'em up...Gl Donnie B.......

·
Registered
659 Posts
When they first reinstated the Striper season I got checked everytime I returned to port. Haven't been stopped last 5 years. They are not near as picky as years past. Still not worth taking the chance of getting a ticket.
Bubba[angel][angel]

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
The same thing holds true about other fish sizes and numbers. You must know the legal sizes and numbers of fish allowed in each jurisdiction. If you have any fish outside of the Virginia limits, you had better not stop and fish Virginia waters on the way home. You also better know where the state line is too.

Like Little Bubba, I havn't been checked for several years, but I still don't take chances.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have gone out on a charter boat several times from Va. waters to fish in Maryland waters. Two years ago my cousin caught a citation rock in Maryland waters. I was weighed in at Smith Point Marina becuase we went out of that creek, but he couldn't get a citation becuase we went out of Va. water and it wasn't in season yet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts