Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Bear is a Chocolate Labrador Retriever. He is a 6-7 year old neutered male, he is about 90 lbs. My wife and I are Bears foster parents. We have had Bear for 4 months getting him ready for a forever home. When we got Bear he had heartworms, he has been cured of the heartworms and seems in good health.

Bear loves human's, all he wants is to be close to people. He is house broken and has some obedience training. He eats well.

Bear does not like other dogs and cats. Bear does not do stairs well, we have had him on stairs so I know he can do it, but he would rather not. I think he could be trained to do stairs.

We have 2 other chocolate labs, a male and a female. When we first got Bear he had heartworms and did not feel good, we had no problems between our dogs and Bear. Bear is now feeling much better and we have an aggression problem between Bear and our male lab.

We were waiting patiently for a suitable forever home/family, but with aggression between the 2 males starting we need to find him a home either temporary or permanent. I think the ideal home for Bear would be a family who can care properly for him and spends at lot of time at home, without other pets or the desire for other pets, a fenced yard and a single level house.

Bear is owned by the Humane Society and all decisions must be approved by them. Due to the new aggression problem The Humane Society has requested that I bring Bear back to them so they can determine his suitability for adoption.

If you or someone you know would like a loveable lab who wants to be with you all the time, please give me a call. I have called other rescue groups and nobody has room for Bear. Unless we can find him a home I don't think he will be around very long.
If you can help or have questions give me a call at 410-255-1354

Thanks for your help

Ken

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts
Hope you find a home for him soon.

Why doesn't he do stairs? Was he injured or just never been taught?

-JB

·
Registered
453 Posts
Is he aggressive with female dogs or just males? I have a female German Shepherd who could use a play pal. Looks like a great dog!

·
Premium Member
26,104 Posts
I met Bear this summer - a really sweet dog - most Labs are.Cody -I'd take him in a second but then you would need to adopt me :D.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support TidalFish.com!
7,173 Posts
Is he aggressive with female dogs or just males? I have a female German Shepherd who could use a play pal. Looks like a great dog!
This could be a win-win for both dogs. I'm a dog guy and have had both male and female labs. Males of any breed, particularly labs, are rarely aggresive with females.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
crabeer He seems not to like any other dogs at least not right away. We tried to adopt him to a family with a female yellow lab, he bullied her 3 or 4 times and they decided not to bother with him. If you want to try give me a call.

skip, I have space in my driveway for your rig and a shed with water and electric but the dogs would have to share the fenced yard so your adoption might not work to well. But we would know where the fish are and how to catch them. Thanks for your comments.

jimrockfish Your right about males and females together. When we got bear he was sick with heartworms, even so he tried to hump both out dogs until my female nipped him on the nose and put a total and complete end to the humping. Now that he is fully recovered I think it will take more than a little nip. He does not bother our female any more. I have been watching bear and maverick (our other male lab) interact today. Bear turns away from Maverick and does not even want to challange him, this tells me that Bear has agreed to be second or third dog. Maverick however is still pushing him around and he only takes so much, than it starts again. The best, safest solution would be Bear as an only dog. I really can't describe how gentlel and loving Bear is. He just wants to be with you. The picture of Bear and my grandson on the sofa was the first time they met. A picture is worth a thousand words. If you can think of anybody who can give him a good home please let us know. Thanks for everyones help

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have a black male and a yellow female it is a shame he has agression problems with other males or i would consider having a new member to our family . it is awsome your family has brought this dog back to good health i wish you all luck in finding bear a new home

1 - 9 of 9 Posts