Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pulled out of the slip 7am in hopes of putting my 12 year old nephew on his first rockfish.Been doing very well the past month on fish between 30 and 36 inches but few big fish so far.Bought a set of planner boards from skip this winter and those things have caught me more fish than i can count there worth their weight in gold but today the deep umbrellas were my savior.Hit 35 feet and began setting lines.The haze or fog over the water was very intimidatng without having radar knowing that there were a ton of boats out there i couldnt see.Maintained course SE and had no trouble with other boats.Trolled all the way across and a crab pot popped out of the fog in about 40ft about a hundred feet ahead of me.Carefully manuevered around it and the others and as i turned back across channel the fog finally lifted but still no bites.About 830 a deep umbrella with a 12 in shad doubles over and starts pulling line.Looks like a good fish so i quickly grab the rod and hand it to my nephew.Hes attempting to fight the fish just as i taught him in the driveway on easter and hes doing a great job,however this fish is kicking his azz.After fighting it about ten minutese hes hurting bad and asks if i could help him some how.So i put a hand on the rod and pump while he reels and recooperates for a minute.I notice that as im pumping the fish its staying really deep and has some real weight to it.I quickly hand my father the normal net i had ready and tell him to grab the giant net from down below,couldnt miss his first rockfish and its a nice one!Finally get the fish to the boat my nephew about to pass out and after 2 swings and misses i get the fish in the net.Plop the fish in the boat and realize its a damn good fish actually my nephew sreams in joy and dad burst into happy laughter.First rockfish for him 44 inches 30 lbs.Caught a pair of 36s in the next hour while my nephew commented on how small they looked.Amazing experience for all and an awesome lifelong memory!Took fish to Clydes for a weigh in and my nephew was issued a citation and assured he would be in the woods and waters magazine next month both of which were truly the icing on cake!This is what i live for!

·
Premium Member
26,271 Posts
Congrats on getting bubba in the boat.

Had to be spooky missing with the net.

44 incher will get him into the Md Fishing challenge - be sure to enter - it's FREE.

·
Registered
430 Posts
WTG.. Great report... I bet by now that fish is 48" and weights 40lb. I know I have NEVER EXAGGGERRRATTEDDD the truth. He will have an early start.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts