Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished hard in the river all over the place. Caught tons of Rock-fish but mostly 19 inches. Did get to keep my limit each day but nothing really to brag about. I fished WindMill Bar very hard on Sunday for Cobia but not much action just one large Ray. Rockfish seem to be plentiful but just not keeper size. Over all the weekend was fun!

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Fished hard in the river all over the place. Caught tons of Rock-fish but mostly 19 inches. Did get to keep my limit each day but nothing really to brag about. I fished WindMill Bar very hard on Sunday for Cobia but not much action just one large Ray. Rockfish seem to be plentiful but just not keeper size. Over all the weekend was fun!
Thx for the report. I was out Saturday and Sunday morning in the shallows up and down the river with similar results. Small rockfish seemed to be everywhere and easy to catch but larger fish hard to come by. I think larger fish will take up residence on shallow structure as soon as the water temps rise a bit more in June. Small blues everywhere too. Caught white perch and croaker (some decent ones) on the cast. Lots of rays cruising the shallow water and saw large schools of large glass minnows. No sign of pups or specks in the river yet that I have seen. Cold water decimated the specks that last two years. I do not expect much from the speck fishery this this year except for maybe some small keeper size fish emerging. Maybe next year will be better for specks as this winter was mild. Have not tried for any flounder but that will be next up for me when the striper season ends in mid June.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Very similar results to the above, minus the blues. Perch were nice size, as were several of the croaker. Caught rock on everything from mir-o-lures to z-man, to gulp, to redfish magic. I am glad to report we did land one trout, about 14 inches. You'd have thought it was 30 inches by the way we celebrated. Caught a nice mess of blue crabs as well. Great weekend overall.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Thanks for the reports everyone. I was down south over the weekend so i have nothing to report but thanks.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Similar to the above for me in the Potomac mouth in the shallows. Dink Striper all weekend. Couldn't even get a keeper. All really small but still fun on light tackle. Especially when you catch them on a double bucktail.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
One thing I am noticing on the Rapp is a lot more grass. I am seeing grass emerge this year in places I know there was no (or very little) grass in years past. Might help on the speck fishing.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Fished a lower VA eastern shore creek over the weekend and all of the nicer rockfish hit Spooks. Caught dinks on mirro lures and plastic. Might want to try large surface lures.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Fished a lower VA eastern shore creek over the weekend and all of the nicer rockfish hit Spooks. Caught dinks on mirro lures and plastic. Might want to try large surface lures.
:thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
328 Posts
One thing I am noticing on the Rapp is a lot more grass. I am seeing grass emerge this year in places I know there was no (or very little) grass in years past. Might help on the speck fishing.
I'm thinking the same here too (Little Bay near the mouth of Antipoison). Will see if our grasses hold up by July. The return of the underwater grasses is a very good sign. :clapping2:

Joe posts . . .

·
Registered
17 Posts
Where is a good place to fish for puppy drum and specs in the lower rapp? I would like to get in on some of that action this year

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Where is a good place to fish for puppy drum and specs in the lower rapp? I would like to get in on some of that action this year
You will have to discover your own special spots for LT fishing but just work the shallows/flats anywhere between Garrets Marina all the way to the mouth. I do not know why, but I always seem to have better luck on the north side of the river, You will find them in grass beds, around rock, concrete, and riprap structure, under old docks, abandoned pilings, duck blinds etc. Think structure of wood, rock and in grass and you will flush some fish out including striper. I cast using a LT medium power fast tip 6'6" rod and 2500 class reel (I prefer braid). Caught plenty on 1/4 or 3/8 oz jigs and plastics (gulp, bass assassins, etc) and using live bunker/minnows (if you can net them) free weighted or under a bobber.

Striper eat crabs too. This is an old pic of belly contents from 3 or 4 years ago but a 20" striper can chow down on crabs!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts