Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wading Sillery Bay or Romancoke with a bushel basket in an inter tube with the lid upside dow to put the grass and soft crabs in floating behind.
The fall run of sea trout off of Kent Island.
The spring run of 10 tp 20 lb. blues off of Hacketts, Greenbury Pt., Fishing Creek and Thomas Pt. Using top water plugs in 4 ft. Of water.
The excellent flounder fishing from Matapeake to Bloody Pt. and Poplar Island to Tilghman Pt.
Free launching and parking at Matapeake.
Free launching at all of Queen Anne’s, Talbot, Kent and Caroline county Ramos.
Skimming for crabs at night in the Kent Narrows.
Drifting eels in the Kent Narrows at night.
Casting buck tails with pork rind at the bay bridge.
Chumming grass shrimp at the bay bridge pilings for rock.
Tying up to the bay bridge with rope around the piling.
Flounder fishing behind the barrier islands from Ocean City to Oyster, Va. Still doable
The black drum run at Cape Charles in Mid May.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I remember wading at Romancoke with the bushel basket and inner tube. The water was so clear you would walk through the grass and chase the crabs out. You would easily catch a bushel. Plenty of soft crabs as well. Horseshoe crabs up on the small beach area.
Those were the days I enjoyed most as a young kid crabbing with my dad.

Mike

·
Registered
15,231 Posts
We had a house in Romancoke right on Eastern Bay and we did the same thing with an inner tube and bushel basket. It was a welcome sight to see a crab try to scoot but he couldn't because he was soft. There is not any grass now so the crabs are an easy target for predators. The water was clear like a swimming pool and we swam in it all day. You could walk out 250 or more yards and it was only 5' deep. What a decline in water quality and marine life since then............Gary

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Well, while we are on memories and fishing buddies, I will share a story. When I was growing up in Centreville the local pharmacist, named Jim Edwards, was reputed to be a great fisherman. I was friends with his son but did not see much of Jim when I visited because he was always out with his buddies fishing.

Years later, after all of his fishing buddies were either dead or incapacitated, I got a call from him. "Pat, this is Jim Edwards. Norm gave me your number and I heard you have been catching fish at the mouth of the Chester. I am embarrassed to ask but would you mind giving me an idea where they are?"

I invited him to join me and thus began perhaps my favorite six years of fishing. He and I (and our other friends) fished together about 30 times a year while he was still able. He was available and ready to go 100% of the time - any conditions. (I wrote a post years ago on a site called "Technical Fisherman" of one of my favorite trips with him, in super dense fog.) I can confidently say that few people have ever known the Chester as well as he does. He could tell you the name of every beach, cove, point and oyster bar there is. He knew, by visual triangulation, EXACTLY where he was at all times. He never looked at the chart but he would always know when we had drifted off the ledge or beyond casting range of a rock. He was fourth generation Rock Hall waterman (his brothers still are) and he was a great fisherman. He used to fish with bull minnows a lot and I am proud to say that he went all artificial with me.

He is still alive but can no longer fish. He is special in so many ways. I really miss him on my boat. Wish I had more pictures but here are a few.

Pat
Water Sky Cloud Vertebrate Outdoor recreation

Water Boat Vertebrate Sky Cloud

Sky Water Goggles Vertebrate Fin

Water Smile Vertebrate Sunglasses Goggles

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Wading Sillery Bay or Romancoke with a bushel basket in an inter tube with the lid upside dow to put the grass and soft crabs in floating behind.
The fall run of sea trout off of Kent Island.
The spring run of 10 tp 20 lb. blues off of Hacketts, Greenbury Pt., Fishing Creek and Thomas Pt. Using top water plugs in 4 ft. Of water.
The excellent flounder fishing from Matapeake to Bloody Pt. and Poplar Island to Tilghman Pt.
Free launching and parking at Matapeake.
Free launching at all of Queen Anne’s, Talbot, Kent and Caroline county Ramos.
Skimming for crabs at night in the Kent Narrows.
Drifting eels in the Kent Narrows at night.
Casting buck tails with pork rind at the bay bridge.
Chumming grass shrimp at the bay bridge pilings for rock.
Tying up to the bay bridge with rope around the piling.
Flounder fishing behind the barrier islands from Ocean City to Oyster, Va. Still doable
The black drum run at Cape Charles in Mid May.
You forgot all those big tiderunner sea trout

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
While I am thinking about it, does anyone know what ever happened to Chris, the guy who ran the Technical Fisherman website. His last name might have been Nosher but I have a bad memory.

Pat

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I could have gone on with my memories but I wanted to leave some room for others and encourage others to join the conversation with their memories.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Some of my best fishing memories was spending many night fishing the susquehanna for stripers. Launch a 12 ft jon boat at rock run landing around sunset and head upriver fishing behind every rock we could make out in the moon light with 5 in broken back rebels. Some time we would just sit and listen, you could hear them bust shad. If we didnt feel like launching the boat we would wade the river in different spots from the VFW up to Hopkins crab shack. Buy dozen crabs. Leave vehicle in the parking lot and head to the river. Many of times an over zealous step ended with water over my head with fish rod being held above the water. Those good times long behind me now. In bed by 9 pm at the latest on most nights. No more getting in the at 4 or 5 am.

·
Registered
15,231 Posts
I had some great memories camping at PLO in the 80's. I had my boat tied up right at the pier. Every day we went out around the target ship and trolled fluorescen orange 12" hoses and caught 8-15 pound blues. Put on in the box and two jump out..........Gary

·
Registered
195 Posts
I Worked in Delaware Bay for powerplant back in 1978. One day company had us fishing chartered boat. Caught nearly nothing all day, then at 3 pm the big tide runners turned on. You could see big weakfish follow our jigs up then hit them near the boat. Never seem anything like it before. Fished a big lake in Pennsylvania that had threadfin shad. On evening when I was in my early teens walleye were driving schools baitfish onto the rocky shoreline whether I could pick them
Up by hand and use them
For bait.
Like someone else mentioned, catching the fish were only part of it. The good time with the people we fished with were what made the memories.
ACG

·
Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
839 Posts
Somewhere in the late 70s we were camping in NC at a place called Sandpiper's Trace. They had a nice fishing pier and every night we'd be out there fishing for big Croakers. This little fella, maybe 8 or 9 hooked a big one on his little Zebco 404. He wasn't gaining ground and the gears were shot in it, it was taking as much as he was getting back so over the side I went. I handlined it in, it was almost 4lbs. I told him to send a picture with the size on it to Zebco and they might send him a new rod and reel which they did as well as some tackle. I'd rather see 10 kids catch a fish to my one.

·
Registered
15,231 Posts
Somewhere in the late 70s we were camping in NC at a place called Sandpiper's Trace. They had a nice fishing pier and every night we'd be out there fishing for big Croakers. This little fella, maybe 8 or 9 hooked a big one on his little Zebco 404. He wasn't gaining ground and the gears were shot in it, it was taking as much as he was getting back so over the side I went. I handlined it in, it was almost 4lbs. I told him to send a picture with the size on it to Zebco and they might send him a new rod and reel which they did as well as some tackle. I'd rather see 10 kids catch a fish to my one.
That's the way it is on my boat. I have taken many kids and others fishing on my boat to catch 50+ pound catfish. They will never forget it and posting memories like this when I'm gone. I would post some pictures but you have to be careful posting pictures of kids on the internet without their parents permission.........Gary

1 - 17 of 17 Posts