Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Delegate Barry Knight has asked that we contact the delegates on the Chesapeake Subcommittee and the full Committee for Agriculture, Chesapeake, and Natural Resource to express our support Menhaden related House Bills 150 and 151:

"Menhaden Momentum
Last Wednesday we started the 2016 Legislative Session in the General Assembly. We have momentum on our side for commonsense legislation for the regulation of Menhaden to protect the Chesapeake Bay. My legislation was filed prior to arriving to Richmond where we have had more legislators sign on as co-patrons.

The next step is the Chesapeake Subcommittee on the House Committee of Agriculture, Chesapeake, and Natural Resources. We need the legislators sitting on the Chesapeake Subcommittee to understand the importance of the Menhaden to our area and the Chesapeake Bay.

This is a call to action for you and your friends to connect with legislators through emails and phone calls to let your voice be heard. Click HERE to see find which legislators sit on the Chesapeake Subcommittee, and click HERE to find the legislators that sit on the full committee for Agriculture, Chesapeake, and Natural Resources."

You can follow the links above to get the members' contact info. Remember to be clear and concise. We do not want to put Omega Protein out of business, we want it to be profitable - we just don't want it to take 85% of the Atlantic Menhaden quota from the Chesapeake Bay - it has the entire Atlantic Ocean to catch its quota.

A sample letter/email for the Committee and Subcommittee delegates:

Dear Delegate _____:

You are a voting member on the Agriculture Committee, and will be voting on bills that deal with menhaden fishing. I am a recreational fisherman, and am writing to ask you to support HB 150 and HB 151. Menhaden are considered the most important fish in the Chesapeake Bay. They are filter feeders that help clean the Chesapeake Bay, increasing the health and viability of the waters. Menhaden are at the bottom of the food chain and are the preferred food for many other marine species populations.

Over fishing has been a problem in the Chesapeake Bay. It is the only fish that is not regulated by the Virginia Marine Resource Commission, and should be taken out of the hands of politicians and regulated using scientific research. The process of commercial reduction fishing for the menhaden has placed huge strains on ecotourism for charter fishing, because trophy fish leave once their food is massively taken out of the waters. The Virginia Tourism industry suffers because of the unsightly fishing techniques close to the shoreline. Their method produces a large runoff of scales in the water and a smelly froth that gets tourists out of the water. Furthermore, Virginia is one of two states that allow fishing for menhaden within its rivers and bays. The Chesapeake Bay is the nursery for much of the entire east coast, and it is extremely important to me. Last year there was 349,873,884 pounds of menhaden taken from our waters.

As a recreational angler, I ask you to the right thing for Virginia and the Chesapeake Bay. Please support legislation to move regulation of the menhaden fish to scientific experts and other measures to ensure the health of the Chesapeake Bay and the menhaden population. The health of the Chesapeake Bay is at stake as well as other water-related economic activity, including marinas, boat dealers, boat and engine repair shops, tackle shops, charter captains, and the hospitality industry that serves both tourists and our own residents.

Sincerely,

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
General Assembly Committee calendar link

The link to the General Assembly meetings schedule is here. The page shows the schedules are subject to change.

Many of the committees have links to the adopted agendas, but there is not yet an agenda for the Senate Agriculture Committee on 1/23/16.

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
I will be there. I have some family visiting from out of town so my car is full already we will spend the day in Richmond. A note this morning from Del Knight.

Menhaden Bill in Subcommittee

HB150 & HB151 meeting location has changed to House Room 1 located in the Capitol Building and the time is now at 4:30 PM. The updated information for the Chesapeake Subcommittee is below.

Thursday, January 28th
Capitol Square
Intersection of 9th Street & E Broad Street
Richmond, Virginia

Chesapeake Subcommittee
Capitol of the Commonwealth
4:30 PM, House Room 1, Capitol

Reserved Meeting Room Prior to Subcommittee
General Assembly Building
4th Floor West Conference Room
available 1:00 PM - 3:30 PM

If you are arriving early to the General Assembly Building we will probably head over to the Capitol at 3:30 PM to exit from the General Assembly Building and walk to the Capitol Building to go through security. Here is a map of the capitol.

http://files.ctctcdn.com/140f08aa001...877c16f70d.pdf

1 - 3 of 3 Posts