Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This article was mentioned on WTOP in Washington DC this morning. At least some of the politicians are beginning to listen to the masses. I can't figure out how these the others can support this fishery. Now this idiot wants to charge VRE riders extra in retaliation for anthers bill.
The article also says menhaden is fished by sport fisherman. I wonder what kind of rod and reel you would set up for that.
///////////////////////////////////////////////////

--When it comes to protecting the menhaden industry in the Northern Neck, Del. Albert Pollard doesn't play catch-and-release.

In response to Del. Jackson Miller's bill to ban menhaden fishing in the Rappahannock River, Pollard has introduced a bill to charge Miller's constituents an extra dollar fee for riding the Virginia Railway Express.

The money, Pollard said, would go to Northern Neck economic development.

"If a Northern Virginia legislator wants to destroy jobs in the Northern Neck, then I'll volunteer his constituents to help in other ways," Pollard said.

He takes issue with the fact that Miller's landlocked district is "not even in the same watershed," and that Miller is involving himself in an issue--menhaden management--that has more impact on coastal districts like Pollard's.

"If I represented an area that had the highest foreclosure rates in Virginia and some of the worst traffic in the nation, I would put more effort into solving local problems," Pollard said.

His bill would charge those who get on VRE trains at Manassas or Manassas Park an extra dollar.

Menhaden management is a perennially thorny issue in the General Assembly.

Menhaden are mostly used for bait or to make fish oil or other products, and are fished not only by sport and commercial fishermen, but by Omega Protein. Omega produces fish oil, fishmeal and other fish products, and its plant in Reedville, on the Northern Neck, is one of Northumberland County's biggest employers.

Pollard and Sen. Richard Stuart, R-Stafford, who are the Northern Neck's two legislators, have resisted proposals to cap menhaden fishing, arguing that studies have not shown an overfishing problem with menhaden.

But this year, there are several bills to limit--or eliminate altogether--fishing for menhaden.

Miller said he introduced his bill because, while there have been studies done of the menhaden population in the Chesapeake Bay, those studies did not look at the menhaden population in tributaries.

Miller said he enjoys sport fishing in the Northern Neck and wants to protect sport fishing, which he thinks also contributes to the Northern Neck economy. He said he's heard anecdotally that fishermen are finding no fish in the Rappahannock.

"Albert should look out for his constituents who enjoy sport fishing in the Rappahannock River," Miller said, after being told about Pollard's VRE retaliation. "There's not fish to catch."

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
To understand why this problem has not already been resolved by stopping the taking of menhadden in the bay, maybe one has to follow the advise given in Deep Throat--"Follow the Money".

·
Registered
822 Posts
I think he was refering that sport fisherman catch the mehaden for bait and not rod and reel. Anyhow, i do wish they would enforce the menhaden regulations more strictly. Maybe have an officer be on board the ship to oversee and video document the operation when they are harvesting the menhaden.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I think he was refering that sport fisherman catch the mehaden for bait and not rod and reel. Anyhow, i do wish they would enforce the menhaden regulations more strictly. Maybe have an officer be on board the ship to oversee and video document the operation when they are harvesting the menhaden.
If memory serves me right, Omega Protein does not allow observers on their catch boats. The Reedville Pit Bull, Del. Albert Pollard, made sure the menhaden cap limit was retained at 109,000 MT. Reason being, Omega has not reached that limit in some time. It is an industry in decline due to over fishing. Omega will ride the mule till it drops dead, pull out of VA, and never look back in the rear view mirror. Then one may ask where will the politicians get their next $$$ election fix?

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
Pollard doesn't care about the Chesapeake Bay. He only cares about where the donations for his next campaign come from.

Kevin
Weekend Mistress

1 - 8 of 8 Posts