Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Three of our local legislators are hosting a meeting to hear anglers' thoughts and opinions on menhaden. Below is the email I sent on 12/15 at Senator Wagner's request:

"Anglers:

Senator Frank Wagner has scheduled a meeting for he, Senator Bill DeSteph, and Delegate Barry Knight to hear anglers' thoughts and opinions on menhaden, and the impact of the menhaden reduction fishery in Virginia's waters on menhaden and other fisheries.

Date: December 22, 2015

Time: 6:00 PM to 8:00 PM

Place: Virginia Beach Tennis and Country Club
1950 Thomas Bishop Lane
Virginia Beach, VA 23454
(northside of Great Neck Road behind John B. Dey Elementary School)

Please plan to attend, and please invite your club's members to attend (you may forward this email to them, if you wish to do so).

This is a rare opportunity to share our opinions, and express our thoughts on the impact of the menhaden reduction fishery on recreational fishing in Virginia waters with those who regulate that industry.

Thank you, and I hope to see you there,
Bob Mandigo,
President,
Tidewater Anglers Club"

·
Registered
884 Posts
Awesome. Hope we can get Rigell and Forbes there too maybe. Wouldn't hurt to have the Feds urging a change at the gen assembly and asmfc. The bay is a national resource.

·
Registered
7 Posts
sounds like this is a great chance for some cool heads to make a change in the minds of the people that can make a change. BE THERE OR BE SQUARE WD

·
Registered
263 Posts
Who will be attending ? I know I will be there..... Just looked back at a picture of the 47lb - 51" Rock we caught on November 29, 2012 trolling off of Plantation Light.... Seems it may not happen again this year... I wonder why ??

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
There are a lot who have asked me if I am going? They want to go also. But I am getting blowback on the time and date of the event. That is the night before Christmas Eve. It is at the most busy driving time of the day. I think I and my concerned anglers will NOT be attending because of traffic, date and time shortcomings.

Bob Allen, Hampton Va

·
Registered
297 Posts
12/22, 6-8pm. Sounds reasonable.

Lousy excuse to belly ache over date (Tues, Xmas is Fri) or time (most folks presumably work day shift type hours). If it were held on a weekend we'd hear the belly ache squad say they were fishing, with family, out of town, working OT. If it were held earlier or later in time, same thing.

This is a prime time to speak directly to the same folks we claim are in the pockets of Omega. If this were simply another meeting or letter writing campaign speaking to other bodies which have no regulatory control over menhaden then it'd be a waste of time IMO.

Invite the media and let the politicians put their mouth on record.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Senator Frank Wagner Senator Bill DeSteph, Delegate Barry Knight are any of these on the Natural Resources Committees? Those are the few (on those Committees) who are blocking any effort to highlight the effects of the industrial harvest of Menhaden in Chesapeake Bay. It is the ears of guys and gals on those committees that we need to hear from--and who need to hear from us.

Recreationals (by way of herculean efforts of CCA/VA have spent time --years) , many man hours ,and money, lobbying legislators on Natural Resource Committees in GA...in the losing effort to open their eyes to the rape of the BAy. Many important legislators are in the pockets of Omega Protein !!

I hope there is a huge turnout, It is just impossible for me to attend. I attend many more meetings than most anglers , sometimes at inconvenient times and places. I have attended VMRC/ASMFC public hearings in Newport News when I was the only recreational angler in attendance. I was brave enough to speak in favor of the continued closure of the winter commercial crab dredge fishery at the public hearing at the VMRC at 4:30 pm (after sitting 4 hours) in mid-October ; I think no other recreational s spoke to the Full Commissioners --the room was full of unhappy commercial crabbers when the vote was taken to continue to keep the winter crab season closed. I departed soon after I spoke, as it was getting dark outside....there were some rough looking characters in the puiblic hearing. No point in placing ones-self in harms way !!

I was the one who spoke openly and negatively when the (Col Bowman) VMRC scheduled a public hearing up at Reedville on the industrial harvest of Menahaen (some years ago) . I told him that was a terrible decision...no recreational anglers would attend such a nighttime public hearing up there in the backyard of Omega Protein. I Told Col Bowman, commissioner of VMRC , that I refused to attend for safety concerns. That meeting should have been on a neutral site. That meeting was held, nothing was accomplished. Col Bowman has moved on. HE and I are good friends, still. However that was a black eye that took him some time to get over. I was correct, he was wrong !!

We are all together on this. WE must get the Menhaden fleet out of Chesapeake Bay in into he Ocean---Way out into the ocean. I have a right to comment about the time and day of this Menhaden Meeting.

Yes, the General Assembly is the body which must be educated and pressured to take action to protect the natural resources of the entire population of VA.

There are a few in the GA who are direct recipients of political donations from Omega Protein...good way to buy insurance against us !!

Is that not what Donald Trump is saying in his run for the Republican nomination. All politicians (save Trump) owe big industries--like Omega Protein (listed stock on the NY Stock exchange) political favors for the large cash re-election contributions that come from particular industries--such as Omega Protein.

BobAllen

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
LOCATION CHANGE, as of 12/19 PM

Anglers:

I just learned that the meeting location has CHANGED from the VBTCC to

The Virginia Beach Resort and Conference Center - The Sunset Room
Located on the north side of the intersection of Shore Drive and Great Neck Road

Same time: 6:00 - 8:00 PM

Stadium seating for 150, water station, and head table.

Bob Mandigo

I received the notification of the location change through an email sent last night, and just found it. The new location is about 3 or 4 blocks from the original location.

I have read the responses to the original post. I know it is a busy time of year for all of us and that traffic is bad. I believe it is the only time the legislators could get together with us. They have to prepare and pre-file bills they want to introduce before the legislative session begins in January.

Bob Allen: I would look their committees up on the Virginia.gov website, but I really need to post this and notify the other anglers club presidents as soon as possible.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Knight is (or was last year) on the House Ag. committee.

All of them represent Virginia Beach. . . . Not to say that they would succeed but they might be willing to do something regarding the waters off of their city. I am not sure about the rest of the bay.

Also it would not hurt to post a sign at the original location on the night of the event which states that the meeting was moved.

T

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
I applaud any efforts to move menhaden management away from GA to VMRC!
Not sure what they are suggesting about Bay waters..?? Are they really suggesting, Omega should still fish inside Bay (just staying 1 mile from shore lines)
Is this removing current reg's? or on top of?

uhttp://www.pilotonline.com/news/local/environment/virginia-delegate-introduces-menhaden-bills/article_a69795ae-cd0b-50fd-b9d1-a526129c0ce2.html

·
Registered
297 Posts
Id say there was 100+ in attendance. Allegedly a couple bills were dropped on both sides of the House with identical language. One to push the fleet at least 3nm off the coast and 1nm off the shoreline in the bay. Second to push bunker mgt from the GA to VMRC. No push to prohibit purse seining in the bay though as such a push would likely meet a lot of resistance and fizzle before any consensus or concession can be built. VB City Council is allegedly pushing a resolution in support of the bills (floated by freshman Davenport). Also heard mention of pursuing possible cap on % harvested in VA waters. Guess the current % is around 80, with target (suggested by Wagner) of 20%. Frankly I feel such a cap instituted over 5-10 years would be more effective than other smoke & mirror legislation. Its effectively displaces the pressure on the Bay and spreads it out among the whole fishery. Would force Omega to pursue the mature coastal stock. Those who signed in will be on an email distro list with listing of key contacts to email, call, or visit on the issue. I think the shoreline standoff bill might make it but the GA is too well paid by Omega to relinquish mgt to VMRC.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
If you read the wording in the off the coast bill (see my other post).

It is 1 mile from the shore within the Chesapeake Bay and the area off of Virginia Beach from Cape Henry to the NC line out 3 miles. No mention about the area east of the Eastern Shore. The one mile from shore would effectively push them out of the Rappahannock River.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
These bills introduced will go to committees and it is there that the bills are "killed". Here are the guys/gals that are responsible for what really happens: DO YOU PERSONALLY KNOW ANY OF THESE IMPORTANT ELECTED OFFICALS? :?

SENATE Agriculture , Conservation and Natural Resources Committee:

Current Committee Membership

Hanger (Chairman), Watkins, Ruff, Obenshain, McEachin, Petersen, Stuart, Marsden, Stanley, Black, Miller, Ebbin, Lewis, Chafin

HOUSE Agriculture, Chesapeake and Natural Resource Committee Current membership :

Scott, Edward T. (Chair) 30th 525 R (804) 698-1030 (540) 825-6400 [email protected]

Poindexter, Charles D. (Vice Chair) 9th 802 R (804) 698-1009 (540) 576-2600
Ware, R. Lee, Jr. 65th 421 R (804) 698-1065 (804) 598-6696 [email protected]
Wright, Thomas C., Jr. 61st 811 R (804) 698-1061 (434) 696-3061 [email protected]
Orrock, Robert D., Sr. 54th 701 R (804) 698-1054 (540) 891-1322 [email protected]
Marshall, Daniel W., III 14th 702 R (804) 698-1014 (434) 797-5861
Knight, Barry D. 81st 415 R (804) 698-1081 (757) 426-6387 [email protected]
Edmunds, James E., II 60th 805 R (804) 698-1060 (434) 476-0077 [email protected]
Wilt, Tony O. 26th 526 R (804) 698-1026 (540) 208-0735 [email protected]
Morefield, James W. (Will) 3rd 714 R (804) 698-1003 (276) 345-4300
Webert, Michael J. 18th 510 R (804) 698-1018 (540) 999-8218 [email protected]
Ransone, Margaret B. 99th 809 R (804) 698-1099 (804) 472-4181 [email protected]
Fariss, C. Matthew 59th 808 R (804) 698-1059 (434) 821-5929 [email protected]
Miller, Jackson H. 50th 720 R (804) 698-1050 (703) 244-6172 [email protected]
Bloxom, Robert S., Jr. 100th 405 R (804) 698-1000 (757) 824-3456 [email protected]
Plum, Kenneth R. 36th 401 D (804) 698-1036 (703) 758-9733 [email protected]
Bulova, David L. 37th 402 D (804) 698-1037 (703) 310-6752 [email protected]
James, Matthew 80th 803 D (804) 698-1080 (757) 967-7583 [email protected]
Torian, Luke E. 52nd 508 D (804) 698-1052 (703) 785-2224 [email protected]
Keam, Mark L. 35th 706 D (804) 698-1035 (703) 350-3911 [email protected]
Lopez, Alfonso H. 49th 716 D (804) 698-1049 (571) 336-2147 [email protected]
Sullivan, Richard C. (Rip), Jr. 48th 819 D [email protected]

It matters little how much support comes from general membership (your delegate or Senator)....if these few ( Many of these are supported financially by Omega Protein) come to a conclusion that the current members of said committees do not want a floor vote....they will "kill", or let it die in committee. So these are the important players in the Menhaden / Omega issues facing concerned Ches Bay citizens.

Dr. Bob Allen, Hampton VA

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
After I submitted these names, I looked over the list and there I recognized many of the same names that addresses these issues year after year. Most have heard all these arguments before. Do we think they will change this year? Not on your life. they are very predictable. CCA/VA went into battle against these guys (with Omega backing their favorite-key, legislators)...and CCA/Va got "torched". A lot of CCA/VA man hours were spent, a lot of fruitless lobbying, and a lot of money was thrown away.

Frankly I wish us all a successful venture, but I am convinced it is war that will not be won in the VA Legislature.

To win this battle more than "enthusiasm" will be necessary !!

Omega has the weapons, the legislature and the money. Be warned !! And do not be surprised at the outcome !!

Dr. Bob Allen, Menhaden Warrior

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Bob what you said may be true but all your doing is changing people's attitude against trying. If somewhat wants to attemp to make a change don't be negative. I have noticed that you are more negative then positive in most your post. Please be more positive and your positivity may spread to others and results

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
cantgetenough: Yu are correct in your conclusion> I would like to be able to tell recreational anglers that things in the recreational fishery are really great...really outstanding. That Menhaden reduction can be changed by going to the VA Legislature. That things will be right with the Bay in the very near future...maybe tomorrow . That Flounder fishing will be the best this summer that it has ever been. That there are plenty of fat stripers in the Bay right now, but now one knows how to catch them and they are not reporting their huge successes....These things I would like to report....but recreational fishing is under attack and is in deep trouble. There is a great fishery in 600 ft of water (deep dropping) ...and there is striper activity galore up near Tangier Island, I guess that is what folks want to hear, but one must speak the truth...that is all I can do. I hope the younger recreational anglers will take the banner and move against poor statistical information( MRSS & --now-- MRIP) that has plagued recreational fish management these last 10 years; I hope this next generation of anglers will aggressively seek to get Omega out of the BAy and into the Ocean. I see a few bright young anglers speak up from time to time, but the glimmer of those bright young recreational and commercial fishermen are not nearly enough to swing the tide of battle that is overwhelming the fish, crab, and oyster populations of the Chesapeake Bay.

Bob Allen

1 - 20 of 25 Posts