Tidal Fish Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please tell me if they fished in the bay last year and did not encounter massive schools of Menhaden ? According to CD Dollar there is NO Menhaden in the Chesapeake Bay. I began my fishing in late July last year and I had a problem with too many Menhaden on my Furuno Fishfinder. I must have been the only one on the Bay to see this. I never saw any "skinny" rockfish either. Where do these so called "oudoor:cool:writers" fish ??

·
Registered
263 Posts
been actively fishing mid Bay for the last 5 years, definitely more menhaden this year than any previous in that location.

Actually blamed our poor results early fall trolling on so much bait being around?

Or, we just suck.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support TidalFish.com!
7,173 Posts
Spring Trophy season is generally fairly consistent although most fishermen have noticed a steady decline in the the rockfish population over the past 3 or 4 years. I've always found Fall to be erratic from year to year and generally not as productive as Spring. If there really is more bait, maybe we can expect healthier fish over time.

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
The entire Atlantic Coast Stock is down 88% in the last 25 years and the number of juvenile Menhaden caught inside the CB has been steadily climbing and is now over 90% (per OMEGA'S Data. In certain areas you may see more Menhaden sometimes, but in general the stock is so low the ASMFC has admitted they have been overfished and they need to correct their methods of calculation.

Kevin
Weekend Mistress

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Can someone please tell me if they fished in the bay last year and did not encounter massive schools of Menhaden ? According to CD Dollar there is NO Menhaden in the Chesapeake Bay. I began my fishing in late July last year and I had a problem with too many Menhaden on my Furuno Fishfinder. I must have been the only one on the Bay to see this. I never saw any "skinny" rockfish either. Where do these so called "oudoor:cool:writers" fish ??
We fished the same area frequently and saw the same thing. Maybe a little smaller than some years, but TONS of it. Anyone that says there are NO bunker in the bay doesn't fish much.

·
Registered
7,566 Posts
Are we talking about CD Dollar's most recent article in The Capital? If so, I see nothing it about "no" menhaden.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I just read it and you are correct. He offered no personal observations, just a rehash of what we've already heard elsewhere.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My issue is that I see no problem with Menhaden in the Chesapeake Bay. This is just a personal observation. The outdoor writers make a constant complaint about "unhealthy" Striped Bass and not enough menhaden for the Striped Bass to eat. I beg to differ on all counts. There is no question that we need to keep an eye on the Menhaden population in the Bay area. Beating the constant menhaden drum is getting old !!

Let me ask one more question: could the population of Striped Bass be too high ?? On another thread there was a fisherman talking about all the big Bluefish we used to catch in the late seventies and all throughout the eighties. There was no shortage of Menhaden then. My observation is that now that we have enjoyed a tremendous surge in the past 15-20 years of Striped Bass, there seem to not be enough menhaden to go around, also the crab population declined with the resurgence of the SB population. Any thoughts ??

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.