Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2003 MERC 125

SOMETIMES THE GEAR THAT POPS UP TO ENGAUGE THE FLYWHEEL STICKS. WHEN THAT HAPPENS, THE STARTER WILL HUM BUT THE POP UP GEAR WONT POP UP. IF I TAP ON IT, IT WILL POP UP, ENGAUGE THE FLYWHEEL AND THE MOTOR STARTS. DO I NEED A NEW STARTER?

·
Registered
595 Posts
Just a dumb comment, but make sure your battery is good and fully charged.

Charge it up good and have it tested if you are not sure.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
NO, PLENTY OF JUICE. I AM JUST WORRIED I'LL GET SCREWED INTO A NEW STARTER IF I DONT NEED ONE. I'LL TRY THE LIQUID WRENCH AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS. THANK YOU FOR THE INFO.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I just remember having to help the solenoid up with the end of the paddle when the battery was a little weak.

Good luck, I hope you never have to find out how effective that rope is that is stored in the collander.

Eric

·
Registered
55 Posts
Had the same problem with a starter on a Merc 150. Took starter apart. The end plate (opposite end of gear) socket that accepted the shaft was tore up. Went ot Budget Boats and got a replacement for $85.OO.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
KJ, HOW OLD WAS YOUR MOTOR? MINE WAS RUN A LITTLE IN 2004, (PREVIOUS OWNER), BUT I HAVE BEEN OUT ALMOST EVERY WEEKEND SINCE APRIL. I'LL HAVE TO GET INTO IT TODAY. WORK HAS BEEN KILLING ME LATELY AND HAVENT HAD THE TIME. THANKS FOR THE REPLY.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I have a 94 200 merc, and if it sits awhile , it does the same thing, I was putting a shot of wd40 every once in awhile on the shaft , it worked fine, then I discovered if I put a little hot sauce reel oil on it, it goes all season long with no problems. [smile]

·
Registered
55 Posts
RYASON, Mine are 1993 Blackmax's. I tried oiling the gear shaft a few times before I took the starter apart, but it still would do it. Started off as an intermittent problem, but become too frequent, had to use the starter rope a couple of times. If you take your starter apart, just make sure you make it up pretty good so you can put it back to together properly. When you get it apart the brushes in the end plate will spring up out of position. To put it back together the brushes have to held down in position while you slide it together. I used a pair of large scissors opened up to hold the brushes in their proper position, slide it together and then pull the scissors out and slide it altogether. Karl

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
KJ

I WILL TAKE A LOOK AT THAT. IT SOUNDS LIKE THE SAME PROBLEM. I KNOW THINGS WILL GET WORSE AND I STILL HAVE A FEW MORE TRIPS I WOULD LIKE TO GET IN. THANKS FOR ALL THE REPLIES.

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
You can wrap the brushes in one layer of electrical tape to hold them in place. Requires less hands and the tape easily comes out as the housing is almost buttoned up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts