Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I raised and lowered the Merc 135 on my 1991 Boston Whaler Outrage 19 a few times today and noticed that hydraulic fluid was leaking out of the ram tube. The motor went up & down just fine. Has anyone replaced their tilt/trim system? Appreciate any words of wisdom from those with prior experience. Thanks, Kevin

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
I haven't replaced that yet, BUT I'm sure its similar to a steering cylinder in that there is a rubber seal inside the cylinder thru which the trim rod goes, and eventually your seal will wear enough to leak fluid. The bad thing is that w/ my steering cylinder I could add more fluid at the helm and it would be good for a week or so, but I don't know how to add fluid to the trim cylinder, so you may face a more immediate fix. Hopefully if it fails it will be in the down position.

But the seal replacement kit I got from Seastar Steering costs less than $100.

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
It's not a bad job if you have the proper tools. Worst case would be to take it off and let someone else change out the seals for you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Local Whaler/Mercury dealer has a $35 ring kit for the tilt/trim piston. I will likely buy that and dig up whatever specialty tools are needed for the job and DIY. Thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts