Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 88 4.3 carburetor mercruiser with electric fuel pump. I start the motor and it will run fine for about 10 minutes or so then will sound like it is losing fuel then it will die unless i idle up or give it throttle.Once it dies it will fire right back up and run for about the same amount of time before it dies again. Spark plugs and wires are a couple years old,dont know if that would have any effect or not.Any help would be greatly appreciated.Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I had the same thing happen to my 4.3 mercruiser engine a couple years ago. It sounds like it is the oil pressure switch. On my engine it was locate under the exhaust manifold on the right side of the engine looking aft, all the way in the back. It screws into the engine block.Don't mistake it with the oil sending unit , because it is located in the same area. This oil switch is a safety device. It allows the engine to start but if the oil doesn't come up to pressure the engine will only run a few minutes because it shuts off the fuel pump. I think this switch cost around 30 dollars. I bought the switch before I removed the faulty one because I wasn't sure which one was the oil sensor and which one was the pressure switch but once I had it to look at I could determine the one to remove. If you have a hard time to locate it, a inspection mirror can come in handy. Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts