Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After approximately 10 hours of break-in time I get a recall notice from Mercury telling me not to run my motor until the problem is addressed with the throttle linkage. After I get my boat back, I start it in the yard but no water comes out and the overheat alarm comes on. Look for obvious problems but find none so back to BPS it goes. They put a new pump and housing in but still no water. I was told they back flushed it and even removed the thermostats but still can get no water. They have been working on it for four days now and have consulted Mercury but cannot correct the problem. I've had the boat since March and have only had it out twice due the recall,weather, and now this. Can someone help me?[sad]

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
I'm not up on the 4-strokes yet but look here for some insight. http://www.biggerhammer.net/mercury/factory_manuals/Service_Manual_Index.html

·
Registered
18 Posts
the merc and yamaha 225 four strokes dont like to pump water on the hose. I usually take the inlet screens off the lower unit and use the merc flushing ears that have a pin that goes through the lower. That seems to fix it most of the time. I would be careful of taking your stuff to BPS. I know for a fact that they don't have any merc certified techs on staff. Also if they did anything to the t-stats make sure they reset the TPS's. The t-stats are under the tps on both sides of the engine and if they are not set in sync has far has voltage values go you will have some nasty running problems.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
[Q]mercurytech originally wrote:
the merc and yamaha 225 four strokes dont like to pump water on the hose. I usually take the inlet screens off the lower unit and use the merc flushing ears that have a pin that goes through the lower. That seems to fix it most of the time. I would be careful of taking your stuff to BPS. I know for a fact that they don't have any merc certified techs on staff. Also if they did anything to the t-stats make sure they reset the TPS's. The t-stats are under the tps on both sides of the engine and if they are not set in sync has far has voltage values go you will have some nasty running problems.
[/Q]
Thanks for responding. I have had the boat out since I got it back and it runs great. They told me that they had talked to the mercury rep. who in turn contacted the yamaha rep. who recommended not running the motor on a flusher. Must be in a tank. I can't believe they did not know this. Wasted a week of my time. Thanks for the advise. [smile]

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Too bad for the problem...

My father is in the middle of an extrodinarily drawn out purchase with the tracker guys at BPS of a seacraft.

As someone earlier mentioned I'd be careful there. If the service is close to the sales we'll be draggin it to tri-state for any warrenty work.

BTW....if your under warrenty shouldn't you be able to have it worked on by any mercury dealer ?

Whaler town in Brooklyn, TriState? There's a guy near freetwon (south shore?) that a I've heard good things about. I know he's yamaha but don't know about mercs.

Hope it works out for you....

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
Looks like Baltimore Chris Craft, Whaler dealer went OOB, closed up. Used to have a kick arse Merc mechanic, in fact we used on our charter rig for years. Too bad. I used Anthony from Fl. Boat Sales until he went with Yammy Corporate, another great OB mechanic.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
OOB? you threw me there..... Too bad I never heard anything about them closing they always seemed to to a good business.....Whaler Town in Annapolis is still running I think...That's the Annapolis based sales office of Balt. Chris-Craft..I do recall they had funky hours so working people could barely get there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts