Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned a Mercury 1990 100 hp two-stroke carb. outboard motor for the past 10 years and it has been very reliable. I am considering upgrading to a Mercury Optimax 115 H.P. I have a friend who owns an Evinrude FICHT and has had nothing but problems with it. Have the Optimax motors been more reliable, or are all the direct injection motors troublesome?

My next choice would be a Mercury 115 four-stroke. These are a bit more expensive, but are they more reliable? Please give me your opinions on these motors.

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
I was just sifting through the BoatUS web site yesterday looking at recalls and issues for various subjects. The Opti's had assorted problems up to around 2001 and then the reports dropped off. If buying used you may want to do some research.

·
Registered
549 Posts
You've apparently not run a 4 stroke motor. They are extremely reliable,and fuel efficiant. Not to mention you don't have all that noise and oil smoke. We hang about 50 Suzuki's a year all 4 strokes, all very dependable. Would'nt have it any other way.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Go to thehulltruth.com. They have a lot of discussions. The 4 cyclinder 4 stroke merc verados are very heavy per horsepower. I also have 2 stroke mercs 150 that have been good. There seem to be alot of positve feed on the new evinrude e-tecs. But go the thehulltruth and search the forums. Karl

·
Registered
8,993 Posts
The 2003 and newer 200-225 hp.Optimax's are Bullet-Proof.Don't The smaller hp. Optimax's I have'nt heard of any problems.If you're Boat can handle a 140-4-stroke,I would Seriously look at a Suzuki.Awesome Motors!!!!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice. I am checking out thehulltruth.com. Does anyone have experience with Mercury 4-strokes (before the Verado, which is not available in 115 h.p.)? It seems that Yamaha, Honda, and Suzuki control the market on 4-strokes, or is Mercury competitive?

I understand that Mercury 4-strokes use Yamaha powerheads. Is this still true? Mercury and Yamaha are the only 4-strokes that are competitive on a weight basis in the 115 H.P. class motor. Suzuki and Honda are too heavy for my boat. 50 to 100 pounds of extra stern weight would turn my boat into a dog on hole shot. Please tell give me your opinion about the Mercury 4-stroke.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I have a '02 200 HP Opti. It has run FLAWLESSLY for me so far. Not one burp or hiccup. I had an error code a few years back. It was just a loose pin in the connector to the tach.

·
Registered
5 Posts
hey ive got a mercury 200 saltwater 03 it's got less than 30 hrs on it and one cylinder leaned out. mercury wont cover it and ill never buy another. now im a yamaha man and you should do the same or check out the four strokes.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Don't knock the Ficht because of your buddy. Since BRP took over it's been a whole different story. Now if you want a maintance free motor, get an Evinrude E-Tec. Winterizing is built into an E-Tec so you don't even need a can of fogging oil.

BTW, I'd say Opti's are are they need to be these days. Just like the older Ficht's they had problems and only have been getting better over the years.

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
Love my opti. About 100 hours on it. It is powerful, very fuel efficient, and low maintenance. My only gripe is the noise.

Also, i highly recommend the DTS (digital Shift and thottle) if it is availible. You will never want a cable throttle again!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts