Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Have a 1997 225 Merc that is still in good working condition but age is starting to worry me. Any recommendation on who to go to in Baltimore/Annapolis area? For complete rebuild, what am I looking at in cost? Does outboard rebuild typically include lower unit overhaul as well?
Thanks

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
NO
old 2 smoke technology is no match for todays modern 4 strokes.
your 225 in running condition is worth $2500- $3000 at best..
after you spend $$$$ on a rebuild & replacement lower unit, you will still have a 18 yr old motor worth $2500-$3000 with a 90 day warranty at best
it is time to upgrade to a 4 stroke if you are serious about boating. 5 yrs warranty on most & fuel ecomomy & reliability far superior to any 18 yr old motor...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any suggestions/recommendations on who to go to in Baltimore/Annapolis area to re-power with new Merc?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Why repower when you have a motor that runs ? Run it until it gives you problems before you take on cost of replacement. Most of the older motors die from nonuse not over use. Gas up and go.

·
Registered
643 Posts
http://www.blackbirdmotors.com/

So, they're not in Balt/Wash area, but I've dealt (once) with this company on a rebuild of a 1997 120 engine (powerhead only).
They gave me 2 options, bring it to them and they would have it done in 2 days (but said it usually is only 1 full day),
or ship it to them and they would do the work and ship it back.

I decided to ship it to them on a pallet, and got it back in a week.
Granted I did all of the work getting it disassembled/reassemble on the boat,
and fuel and electronics back on, but the block has been running great.

It cost me $1550 for the rebuild block, plus $125 shipping there, they covered the return shipping.
I'd love to go new and upgrade to 4-stroke , but until someone hands me $10-15K....
I decided to fork out the $2K for hopefully another 4-5 years on the old one.

Maybe by then it will be time to part ways with the old boat & engine. Oh to dream .....

·
Registered
11,257 Posts
If it gets you where you want to go and does what you want it to do, then that's the right thing for you to do.

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
Why repower when you have a motor that runs ? Run it until it gives you problems before you take on cost of replacement. Most of the older motors die from nonuse not over use. Gas up and go.
Got to agree with this. If it ain't broke, etc.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Got to go with what others have to say. Run it. I personally think that the cost of these new four strokes is thru the roof. You'll lose your butt putting an expensive motor on a 18 year old boat should you decide to sell it. In addition dealers don't want to give you anything for an old two stroke in trade.

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
I have a friend who is still running a 77 Evinrude 50 horse. I know it has had work, maintenance etc., but I don't think he has ever had a complete overhaul/replacement since he got it in 81.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies, but just would like recommendations for Mercury dealer/installers in the area.

Ready2reel, The other day I discovered Blackbird motors out of PA on the web and intend to reach out to them. Thanks for the insight regarding your experience. They have some remanufactured complete 225's for $7/8k that could be a possibility.

My boat is a well taken care of Key West center console that I currently use 10-15 times a year but plan to start using more as my very young kids become older and can join me on the water. To replace my boat with an equivalent new boat, I would be looking at north of $50k. No thank you,when this one is paid for. 5 years ago I would agree and say run the engine till it fails but I now try to take steps to at least try and avoid those types of issues. This would be a offseason move for me. Any recommendations are appreciated.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Almars in New Castle,De I know not in or around Baltimore but only about an hour and 15mins away,they are the largest Mercury re-power shop there is,I know 5 or 6 guys that have engines re-built by them,one of my friends has a 89 Merc 150hp done there and has over 700hr's on it plus you save the sales tax,I would at least call them and ask some questons

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.