Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new freezer for the garage this Xmas for my house in Naples. My wife told me that it looked empty so I decided to visit Bouncer Smith's Fish Market in Miami Beach and I'm glad I did. There were plenty of fish to be had and the weather was great on top of it. I took my son-in-law Andrew along with me to help carry some of the fish home and he had a blast. We caught Red Snapper, Black Grouper, Red Grouper.Big Ass Jacks,Porgie.Sailfish,False Albacore.Barracuda and I forget what else. The sailfish were all caught on St Croix 6'6 MF action rods with Quantum 30's. Once we had a double on one going north and one going south I was about to be spooled and I saw something I've never seen before. Bouncer took the sea anchor threw it overboard and then clipped my son-in-laws rod and reel to it and threw it overboard with the anchor.We then ran after my fish to take back line. After landing my fish and these were some nasty fish on that tackle we ran back to the sea anchor and gaffed the rod back and the other sail was still on. My son-in-law fought that fish for a good hour or more. That was a pretty cool trick for sure. The freezer is full now and the wife is happy. Life Is Good!!!
DSC_0381.jpg

DSC_0351.jpg

DSC_0352.jpg

DSC_0387.jpg

DSC_0395.jpg

DSC_0371.jpg

DSC_0312.jpg

DSC_0451.jpg

·
Registered
902 Posts
That's too Cool.
We'll be in the Keys 1st of Feb.
Hope for some of that action
Great pics. Thanks for sharing.
Larry

Throw the rod over w/ an anchor. UFB

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Wow. That's cool - ditching the one rod to get both sails!

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Great pics Hank, sounds like a great day on the water. Thanks for rubbing it in;-)

·
Registered
728 Posts
nice work!
You can also ditch your anchor if you hook a bill while anchored up using the bouy trick. I learned that one in austrailia this past fall.
Taylor

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Andy she's always happy when I'm out fishing.:yes:
Jeff 80 degrees and Sunny.:cool2:
Shawn not balls brains.:thumbup:
Chris thanks nice to catch something other then Rockfish.:fishing2:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hank, looks like you had another great trip with Bouncer! He is an amazing Captain with a lot of tricks! Brings back memories of last year's trip. Sure is nice fishing down there with all the different fish there are to catch.

·
Registered
12,450 Posts
Hank great photos and pics...I would've loved to have seen the look on your face when he threw that rod in the water......:D

·
Registered
518 Posts
That sounds awsome. Congratulations.

How did the rod stay afloat once it was hooked to the sea anchor and how did you find it? Did the sea anchor have a float attached?

thanks for the great post.

DBM

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
DBM yes he has the anchor attached to a buoy and then he clips the reel where it connects to the rod. Pretty cool!

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
Hank, that's some sweet action and some good eating. Thanks for reminding us there is some warmth in the world and some fish besides stripers.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Jamie thanks enjoy Mexico I'll see you when you get back. Jack your right nice to target other species other than Rockfish. Down here you never know what your going to catch its a real plethora of fish. We even saw a bucket that was drifting and drifting with it was a Triple Tail. They like to hang around buoys and anything else that floats. I wanted to pitch a bait but we were already hooked up. When we boated those fish we looked for awhile for the bucket but couldn't find it. I'm 0-3 with Triple Tail hooked two and lost two saw one and never got a shot. They are great eating and fight like hell. The Tarpon are also inshore we made just two drifts with live shrimp but didn't get a bite. We had to get back it's a two hour ride and Andrew was leaving in the morning. It was 6:00PM I told Bouncer if we hookup now we'll be fighting another fish for an hour or more and that we would be running late. He said "that's fishing".

1 - 20 of 29 Posts