Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New Year Tarpon Are Hot

I’ll let you guess what I have been up to since my last report. Tarpon, tarpon, tarpon. I have been doing a lot of tarpon charters the last couple of weeks. We have been getting anywhere from 2 to 4 shots per night and have caught fish on every trip except one. And even the trip that we didn’t land one we still had two shots at some good size fish but were unable to get them to the boat.

We are fishing for these tarpon right on Haulover Beach using live shrimp and setting the rod in the rod holder and waiting for the drag to start singing. The fish are ranging from 40-90 pounds. This is a night fishery for us so usually there is a lot less activity from boats on the water and there is a lot less heat from the sun. As you can probably tell this is one of my favorite fisheries.

Offshore we have catching kingfish up to 20 pounds and the seasonal sailfish have arrived. To be honest I have only been offshore only a couple of times this past week because I have been fishing mostly at night for tarpon. I do have a couple of days coming up here shortly for offshore and we are already starting to book dates into February and the sailfishing is only going to get better.

Get away from the cold and let’s go fishing. That’s it for now because I have to get back to tarpon fishing.

Best of Luck in the New Year.

Capt Gil Gutierrez

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Capt Gil your right it is red hot right now. Last week I fished with Bouncer Smith and we hooked into 9 Tarpon up to 80# and landed 6 what a blast!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you fished with Bouncer I guess you were fishing in Goverment Cut. A couple of the guides have been coming up from Goverment Cut to come fish Haulover Cut. If you are able to be out there when the shrimp start running-look out- it can be downright unbelivable.

·
Registered
11,095 Posts
My left pinky is still a little crooked from trying to get a spinning rod out of a holder when the anti reverse went off and the handle started spinning on my hand from a tarpon down there a few years ago.They're some fish.Not easy to land.

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
Ive fished tarpon at night in Key West, May/June. Generally the fish are in the channels in the back country popping on shrimp. Ive caught them on fly rod and plug. You'll know they are they from the popping sound. Strangely enough they seem to be disoriented because of the darkness, and much easier to land, just my observation.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts