Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just want to remedy my ignorance of fuel filter terminology. I have an old aluminum tank that I am scared to run off of (I am replacing it eventually). This is even after I had it commercially cleaned. I currently have a plastic 20 gallon tank monted above the deck. I keep hearing 10 micron as a good filter for the ethonol problems. What do the numbers stand for? Higher or lower? I threw the leaves out the boat and she is running great in the drive way. The "Sea Brat" will be on the scene starting this week.:clapping2::bigfish:

Sincerly,
Jimmy Simonsen

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
The larger the number 10 micron will filter out particles down to 10 millionth of a meter in size. So the smaller the # the smaller the particle it will filter out. Martin

·
Registered
64 Posts
B8boy confused me a little. Right on the first part backward on the second

MICRON Smaller filters smaller.

A measurement equal to 0.000039 inches.

In reference to filtration, the average size of the openings between pieces of the filter media are represented in microns. For example, a 40-micron filter has larger openings than a 5-micron filter. Consequently, the 40-micron filter element will let larger particles pass through the filter than the 5-micron element.

As a general rule, the smaller micron rating for a filter is better, but as with most everything, there is a trade-off. Flow capability usually drops off as the micron rating gets smaller. To overcome this, low micron-rating filters must have larger elements to keep from sacrificing precious flow.

Another factor to consider is the fact that a filter with smaller openings, such as a coalescing type, will clog quicker than a general purpose filter. Replacing filter elements can become expensive if it is happening too often. A good solution to this problem is to use a pre-filter. Always install a general purpose filter (in the 40- to 50-micron range) upstream of a coalescing filter (5-micron range or less). The general purpose filter will capture the majority of the particles before they reach the coalescing filter, thus saving the coalescing filter element from clogging too soon. Even though this requires two filters and seems expensive initially, this could mean huge savings on coalescing filter elements in the long term.

This is not me spouting knowledge, this is pasted from the web. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
296 Posts
i just bought gas at $1.33 a gal on friday, with the fuel prices down to a reasonable rip-off rate, would you not think the BIG OIL CO'S can now take the corn [e-10] out of the gas and let the food prices start to come down a bit. not too mention stop destroying our intrenal combustion motors. just a thought.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
With the EPA "leading the way" you can forget about the elimination of the ethanol. The other purpose is to reduce the country's thirst for forgien oil. The ethanol can be made from much better sources then corn and should be. The idea that we are competeing for a food source by using it produce ethanol is just PLAIN STUPID.
The thing I can't uderstand is that the ethanol causes most internal combustion egines to run at about 20% lower power production thereby causing them to use MORE fuel NOT LESS. The thermal output of ethanol is much lower than gasoline along with the other problems is causes. I KNOW that there are better engines out there, but the oil companies just keep buying up the tecnology and hiding it from us.

·
Registered
485 Posts
MICRON Smaller filters smaller.

A measurement equal to 0.000039 inches.

In reference to filtration, the average size of the openings between pieces of the filter media are represented in microns. For example, a 40-micron filter has larger openings than a 5-micron filter. Consequently, the 40-micron filter element will let larger particles pass through the filter than the 5-micron element.

As a general rule, the smaller micron rating for a filter is better, but as with most everything, there is a trade-off. Flow capability usually drops off as the micron rating gets smaller. To overcome this, low micron-rating filters must have larger elements to keep from sacrificing precious flow.

Another factor to consider is the fact that a filter with smaller openings, such as a coalescing type, will clog quicker than a general purpose filter. Replacing filter elements can become expensive if it is happening too often. A good solution to this problem is to use a pre-filter. Always install a general purpose filter (in the 40- to 50-micron range) upstream of a coalescing filter (5-micron range or less). The general purpose filter will capture the majority of the particles before they reach the coalescing filter, thus saving the coalescing filter element from clogging too soon. Even though this requires two filters and seems expensive initially, this could mean huge savings on coalescing filter elements in the long term.

This is not me spouting knowledge, this is pasted from the web. Hope it helps.
exactly right. if you spit it goes where you spit it. put a piece of panty hose in front and it goes nowhere. that is what the fuel pump has to work through.

·
Registered
485 Posts
With the EPA "leading the way" you can forget about the elimination of the ethanol. The other purpose is to reduce the country's thirst for forgien oil. The ethanol can be made from much better sources then corn and should be. The idea that we are competeing for a food source by using it produce ethanol is just PLAIN STUPID.
The thing I can't uderstand is that the ethanol causes most internal combustion egines to run at about 20% lower power production thereby causing them to use MORE fuel NOT LESS. The thermal output of ethanol is much lower than gasoline along with the other problems is causes. I KNOW that there are better engines out there, but the oil companies just keep buying up the tecnology and hiding it from us.
and food went up do to the price of gas. and it comes down when? ethanol cost more to make with corn than they sell it for! it can be made from other things like weeds, grass, etc. its all BS. where is that methane motor that was around ( ran on chicken chit). I lost 2gpm in my truck when they put ethanol in.

·
Tidal Fish SUPER Subscriber - I Support Tidal Fish
460 Posts
The stuff made out of corn is ethanol, methanol is made from the stalks of the corn, as well as grass. I think that's right.
What is wrong with using methnanol instead of ethanol? Seems like it would be cheaper and we would be using all of the
replenishable product.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts