Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the Whaler to the Little Choptank again. There were lots of big marks in the mouth of the river but those guys weren't biting. Saw lots of birds there in the morning and although the birds were diving, I didn't find any dinks. Dinks didn't even show up on the fishfinder. Moved out to False Channel and was greeted with the largest grouping of birds that I have ever seen. There were acres of them. They were gulls, gannets and pelicans. The fishfinder lit up with big and small fish from the top all the way 50' down. I caught dinks in that area non-stop from 10 am until 5pm. They mostly were about 10-12" long. Also caught a bunch of 10" weakfish in there. Managed to catch a 26" rock when bouncing a StingSilver off the bottom around the outer edge of a school of breakers. Followed that with a 19" and a 19 15/16" rock. I measured that 19 15/16" rock 4 times and over the side he went. All fish were caught on StingSilvers bounced off the bottom.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Managed to catch a 26" rock ...
I estimated that fish at 26" and if I caught another, I would have been forced to measure it. I did measure it today and it is 28-1/4". It sure was a blast catching a fish like that on light tackle.

·
Registered
197 Posts
thanks for the report whalerron. between your report and the wind fx this week i might have to play hooky one day this week. so you were literrally taking one of those 3" long stingsilvers with a treble on the back and just dropping it straight down and bouncing it? i might have to try that. is there any kind of skirt or feather on the treblehook?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so you were literrally taking one of those 3" long stingsilvers with a treble on the back and just dropping it straight down and bouncing it? i might have to try that. is there any kind of skirt or feather on the treblehook?
I
I am using 1-1/4 oz silver StingSilvers with nothing on them but a treble at the end...no feathers, no grubs, nothing. I have been working the outer edges of the schools which are under the breaking birds and I just bounce the lures of the bottom. I pull them up maybe 12 feet or so and let them drop til they hit the bottom. My brother has been doing the same with 2 oz StingSilvers and he has been having the same success. I enjoy a large fish on light tackle much more than that same fish on a trolling rod. The light tackle is definitely more of a challenge. Good luck if you go!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts