Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out to Podickory yesterday for the first time this year, it was a bit windy but felt good. Fished from about 2-4:30 pm in 16 feet of water, no bites in the first hour or so and after that it was heating up, caught 3 and my cooler was full already, these are about 15-20 lbs each. Also most a couple dued to old lines, I gotta replace all the lines on my rods, haven’t done it in a couple years or so.
Food Recipe Ingredient Seafood Tableware

Seafood Fish Sink Gas Metal

Food Cuisine Fish Dish Seafood

·
Registered
398 Posts
Nice fish. Have you kept them that size before? I've eaten 3-5 pounders out of the Potomac and thought they tasted decent, not great but as good as rockfish. Last year I kept a 17 pounder out of the Susquehanna and thought it was terribly muddy. Haven't eaten a bigger one since. And yes, I did slice all the red meat off the skin side after skinning it.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have kept that size many times, actually most the cats I caught are in that range, they taste fine to me, One thing is I always cut out the piece around the stomach because that area is the fishiest. Cooked one before it goes into the freezer and man it was delicious.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Happy you are catching some fish Vietpimp. Following your reports over the years seems like you had been struggling but it looks like you have found your quarry.

Pat
Thanks ! I’ve been struggling to catch rockfish but catfish have been plenty lol. Most of the time I just don’t report catching catfish that’s all. Take care.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cool deal.
Pass along a tip given to me. Bleeding them out really makes meat better. I cut deep at tail and snip a few gills , hang Cat on rope from cleat for 5 minutes - then into cooler.
Thanks Skip! I thought about bleeding them too and was go back to Tidal fish to search for the post on how to do it. Glad you show me. Take care !

·
Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
621 Posts
Definitely bleed them. Get a cast net for bait. Up here in Harford county I heard they're charging $5 for a Gizzard shad. I've probably given away $500 worth of bait. If you're ever up this way, I keep 20 in the freezer I'll share.

Reactions: Vietpimp999

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Went out to Podickory yesterday for the first time this year, it was a bit windy but felt good. Fished from about 2-4:30 pm in 16 feet of water, no bites in the first hour or so and after that it was heating up, caught 3 and my cooler was full already, these are about 15-20 lbs each. Also most a couple dued to old lines, I gotta replace all the lines on my rods, haven’t done it in a couple years or so. View attachment 281664
View attachment 281665
View attachment 281666
BLEED THEME

1 - 14 of 14 Posts