Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ran out of the South River yesterday late afternoon, towards Green #1, and immediately ran into piles and piles of bait. You could have walked across the water in some spots there was so much bait. Deployed 4 rod spread of Drone Spoons and #1 and #2 planers. Worked outside of the buoy, catching a few small blues and small rock, and started working south to a few personal hot spots I have marked. Within striking distance of those spots, we got into a school of 18-19.5 inch Rockfish. Fun to catch, but frustrating catching a dozen Rock that were a half inch short. We kept at it and managed a 21 and 22 incher, a ton of nice blues as well. The fish are there, you just have to be patient and pick through the shorties. Would have been a banner late summer evening if we still had the old regulations!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Nice report Nick. Thanks for posting. I didnt have much luck in that area on Sunday. Didnt see any bait fish either though.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Fished around Love Point/Hickory Thickets same thing . Cast into lots of bait fish, breaking fish but all ,Rock and Blues, undersized. Trolled later with same type of rig and only picked up undersized. Plenty of action no keeper.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Thanks for the report. I am new to summer trolling. How fast were you going and how far back did you have the spread? Thanks

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On a spoon spread, I don't take any chances anymore, so I keep my rigs very well spaced. I believe I staggered them at 6, 10, 13, and 16 bars. And I generally troll spoons, for rockfish, at about 4MPH-ish.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Similar action near Poplar on Thursday. Caught over 100 rock and blues casting; no keeper rock and no macs.

Most of the rock were from the 2014 year class. It was good to see so many of them. Bodes well for the future.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts