Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Headed out for a late afternoon trip with rumors of weakfish in the area. Didn't take long at all to find them and caught well over 30 in a few hours. While many were under 10", caught 5 or so over 13" Kept two man/fish limit as well as a few small blues. Schools lit up the whole bottom half offish finder and it was game on with small silver metal jigs.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
This is great news. One of the beauties of weakies is that they mature quickly and spawn early in life. They appear to be everywhere. This will probably start some **** but if the netters leaves them alone we could be on the verge of a big come back. In a few years we could have a Chesapeake Valhalla. Bring back the days when you casted to blues on the top and rock and trout on the bottom. I remember one evening in the early fall my son fished from his jet ski above the Riva bridge and brought home a 3 lb blue, 2 22 inch rock and a 21 in. Trout. He was casting breakers.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep there were plenty of small blues mixed in with these guys chasing rain bait up on top. Also there were so many trout there that were this years young, some from 4-7"

·
Premium Member
26,249 Posts
Love seeing " catepillars " on the bottom of a fish finder. Almost sure bet - it is Sea Trout.

Congrats on finding them - thanks for posting.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I've caught about a dozen of them off my dock this summer. They hit a 1/4 oz. jig with a white twister tail. They were all in the 6-8" range. Just wish I had the time to go looking for their big brothers.

·
Registered
7,603 Posts
.....ahhhhh, but to relive the memories of playing bumper cars with our boats while ganging up over weakfish tightly schooled up somewhere in the Chessy...bring'em on! And thanks for the report!
Meanwhile, been catching our share over in that other bay, some now reaching 15-16", one to a person. And no crowds.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts