Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spent Saturday solo taking the boat to visit family on Kent Island for the weekend. Since I did not get a bite all Trophy season (only 3 outings), I was less than hopeful to see a fish. I did swap out the trophy rigs and bring blood worms, just in case the kids wanted to perch fish. Miraculously, I caught 3 undersize rockfish around Love Point area. The first fish this year and first fish trolling with my boat. Very happy with a throw back.

Buddy met me at the house at 6:30 Sunday, took 15 minutes and we were at the mouth of the Eastern Bay. Fished 5 rods, I was feeling the party the night before and I did not want any problems. Caught three throwbacks pretty quickly, all on the same rod. I swapped out a tandem, tied some jigs, and put out the same color umbrella with 8oz. A few minutes later I heard that sweet zing...... First time with my equipment, and a few minutes later I netted our first fish, a 27 incher. If you were in the Bloody Point area you heard me screaming for joy, Finally! Good Bye Skunk! A couple minutes later, I caught a 22 on a white tademn, my fish. We had decent action the rest of the morning, 10-15 throwbacks, but no more keepers, stopped at 10:45. I did miss a nice one at the boat trying to do my best bass master imitation, "this is how it's done"- to have the hook spit at me. Oh well.

Monday, boating back north with my 6 year old. Same setup as the previous day sans the sun. We ran into a school of breaking fishing at the mouth of the bay. Good thing all my lures had 8oz+ and were well below. I managed to catch one small rock throwing a jig around the trolling rods, kid was impressed. We fished for about two hours and managed 3 rock on white just south of Red 86. All undersized but the 6 year old reeled in her first rockfish trolling. Dad was glowing. We ran home at 10:15 and enjoyed our first Rockfish dinner last night. The wife did remind me, price per pound this was a very expensive dinner.

Thank you to everyone on the site for tips, very helpful. A humbling learning experience that finally ended well.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
You're getting better one trip at a time. What a great feeling to start tying into them after putting in a lot of time. hat's a great report, and congratulations!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts