Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The following was forwarded to several folks by a VMRC staffer. The flounder is a good deal for VA. Lots better than the coast wide measures option. With respect to the performance measures stuff VA should be pretty much OK. What they did last year was take the average of the overage/underage for each of the previous several years. VA to take an extra 7% cut on that. in 2007 it looks like we did not hit our quota so we should be OK this year. My guess is that we will have something on the order of a 25% to 35% increase on our quota.

I don't know what they mean by the closed season for sea bass.

I am confident that better details will be out there soon.

Tom

Jack Travelstead reports the following Mid_Atlantic Council actions from
Montauk, NY:

1) Summer flounder- conservation equivalency (stat-specific size/bag
and seasons) will remain in effect. However, the technical committee is
charged with looking at another round of the performance measure (this
is where a state's 2002 through 2008 net of overages and underages is
factored into any reduction or liberalization plan). In addition, any
sate that had an overage of its target in 2008 must take at least 50% of
its overall reduction, in 2009, using closed seasons.

2) Black sea bass - there was debate on a month closure (May 15 June
15), to augment spawning, but the Council moved a 12 1/2" size limit,
25-fish limit and a closed season, for the recreational fisheries.

3) Scup - always a little confusing, but conservational equivalency will
apply, with details to be worked out later.

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My guess would be 18" with maybe 8 to 10 days closed in the summer, but that is just an educated guess. . . .

With this concept of performance factors it is no longer a case of "if you miss it doesn't mean that much next year" Now how much you miss by costs you extra in the following years. Thus we need to be a little conservative with what we do.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
My guess would be 18" with maybe 8 to 10 days closed in the summer, but that is just an educated guess. . . .

With this concept of performance factors it is no longer a case of "if you miss it doesn't mean that much next year" Now how much you miss by costs you extra in the following years. Thus we need to be a little conservative with what we do.
thanks for the info i know you will keep us updated..

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Get the pots, off of the wrecks, and there would not be a sea bass problem.
The commercials took a 50% quota cut for next year coast wide. If you want to place blame look at the recreational catches. The northern states commonly go over their recreational quotas by 200% to 350%. Virginia normally bags about 50% of their quota. If sea bass were managed state to state we'd be able to lower the minimum size and up the quota.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Thank you Darren. Once again they stick it to us.

I'll say it again:

Do the equivalent of firing the first shot at Ft. Sumter and go out of compliance with ASMFC, NMFS and Mid Atlantic Council. The yanks continually stick it to us and then come down here and catch all of our fish to boot.

Chris

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
Flounder & Sea Bass Management

Tom,

We can not afford to see the flounder limit go up another 1/2" or the number of keeper fish reduced. Thanks for all your work.

Please keep us posted.

Kevin
Weekend Mistress
CCA VA

1 - 9 of 9 Posts