Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed that a couple of you were out in the middle bay this weekend any clue as to what was going on at the mouth of the choptank? On Saturday I was fishing shallow on the flats and noticed charter boat after charter boat flying in and anchoring up in a tight group ( southern side of mouth). They must of been on something based on the size of the fleet that assembled. I'm guessing there were 30-50 boats anchored up at the peak. I never made it over to investigate but I'm still curious as to what the bite was. Any one in the know?

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
May have been a rumor of a redfish bite in the area. Reds have been caught near Poplar Island at this time of the year in the past. Not every year.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was out at the mouth of the Choptank on Friday and noticed a fleet of boats. There must of been 10-15 boats anchored up and bottom fishing. They were pulling in small light colored fish. I could not tell if they were spot or perch. We tried a bottom rig with artificial blood worm for a while. Not a bite. When we reeled in the rig, there was a small speckled trout head on the hook. Perhaps a 8-10" speckled trout bit the bait and then a blue ate the trout. We tried shrimp, thinking they were perch but didn't get a bite. I'm thinking the boats were catching spot and using real bloodworms for bait.

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
If it was the head boats out of the Kent Narrows, they are catching spot , or perch. Maybe a trout now and then. IMO.

·
Registered
7,547 Posts
So we have reached the point where a school of Spot causes a stampede of headboats from all over the Bay? :eek2:

·
Registered
233 Posts
red drum.jpg
May have been a rumor of a redfish bite in the area. Reds have been caught near Poplar Island at this time of the year in the past. Not every year.
you are absolutely correct about the redfish...... was fishing around the mouth of the Choptank and was bottom fishing for blues on Saturday night 9.19.2015 with spot cutbait and this one took the line....fought her on light tackle with 15lb mono.....released her after the pic....don't worry...I made sure I did not grab any of her gills....she swam away fine....

Also caught a some blues in the mid 20's

1 - 8 of 8 Posts