Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Generally speaking, when you're trolling, you have right of way over... nobody. You're given no special rights just because you're dragging lines.

You are a boat underway, making way. It's still your responsibility to give way to vessels under sail, etc, etc...

Alot of new folks don't understand that... thought I'd share with the class.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I carry a shotgun for those damn blowboaters that try to cross up my spread when they have there tiny little diesel pumpin and their sails up.

·
Registered
180 Posts
They are considered powerboats with the engine running, but it is almost impossible to tell as they are approaching with a sail up. Another thing to consider - even though you are not afforded any additional privledge by trolling, a sailboat approaching you from greater than 22.5 degrees aft of your beam and moving faster than you is overtaking, and as such, is the give way vessel, and must steer clear of you. Even if they are under sail.

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybyknight under Capsized Thread/Topic
I'm a sailor, and my friends and I respect the intended course of boats trolling long lines.
By the same token, it is discouraging to have power boats barge into a closed race course
forcing us to tack.
Why can't we all just try to get along?
Dick

A closed course is one (a race) sanctioned by the USCG.

No sanction, no closed course, period.
USCG will make announcements (Ch 16, then 22A), and closing can be found on "Local Notice to Mariners"

http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/lnm/default.htm

I can drop markers 'til the cows come home; have 1,000 race committee boats, but if not sanctioned... no closed course.
Edit/Delete Message

·
Premium Member
2,640 Posts
sailboaters also drive me nuts with all the BSing they do on the radio....its complete bs. i just insert jimmy buffet cd, some say just key the mike with jimmy in the backgound....na i would not do that.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool
5,686 Posts
Eminent Brother,
Thats a good point because a lot of the Rules of the Road guides say a fishing boat has right of way, which was intended to mean commercial fishing vessels pulling nets that restrict their ability to change course. The rule does not apply to a recreational fishing boat that is trolling altough many fishermen think it does. Some blowboaters are very good about staying within the rules of the road. The biggest problem I've had are with sail boats that are racing because they tend not to be concentration on anything except the race course and the closest racer to them.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Problems I have had with sailboaters are:

1. If I am trolling and they are overtaking me, they still expect me to give way,
2. When I am the give way vessel and make a significant turn to avoid them, some seem to turn back into my new path repeatedly
3. They have their engine on, motoring with sails up and still expect the right of way
4. they do not return hails on the radio to inquire as to their intended course
5. finally many times they do not have a good lookout posted because they are headed at me and I can not see the person at the wheel or anyone else because the sails are blocking their visiblilty. Do they not have to place some one on the other side of the sails for lookout?

Worse case problem for me one day wasl I have even been at anchor and been run into by a sailboater screaming at me :wacko: that he had the right of way, until I pointed to my anchor rode & anchor light lit and calmly informed him I was anchored. Opps. :nono:

I also know they have their own horror stories about the **** we fisherman have done to them intentionally or by mistake and that includes the cigarette boat who barrels through a group of boats chummng at 50 MPH or other such nonsense.

Back to the radio thing, I like the people, power boater or sail boater, who keys his mike and some how forgets to release the button so no one can transmit or automatically scan past that frequency.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
To be fair, there are too many idiots that engage in both power and sail boating, neither group has a monopoly on ignorance.
Pat in Joppa

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
Of course the Blow Boat v Power Boat fight is a time old tradition, but I see far more egregious things done by other trollers than I have by the rag haulers.

As far as shot guns and hurling lead, only true a-hole would stoop to that ****.

Bert

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
I have been getting to know some sailboaters a little better because I have been taking classes with some of them through the Sail and Power Squadron since last October. Specifically Weather and Marine Electronics. As the only angler and power boater in the class I am outnumbered. Needless to say, it has been somewhat difficult to sit through a class with people talking about sailing BS and I have tried to ignore them. Even though they seem to have some limited nautical abilities, they dress funny and smell like flowers. :D They haven't tried to recruit me into their sailing cult because I let them know I eat meat and drive a pick-up truck.
All I can say is, I'll be glad when theses classes are over and I can get back to boating and fishing with my kind. :D

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
"Generally speaking, when you're trolling, you have right of way over... nobody"
There are exceptions to this under inland rules as pointed out by Phil. Most sailors don't realize that they lose their privilage when overtaking a power boat while under sail. Far to many times a sailor has run up on my lines thinking he had the ROW or worse too lazy to tack clear:nono:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I sail. I do everything possible to stay out of the way of the trolling folks. The Chesapeake is big enough and it ain't a big deal to tack and head in a different direction. I try not to get wound up about right of way and, instead, let common sense take the lead. It works.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
sailboaters also drive me nuts with all the BSing they do on the radio....its complete bs. i just insert jimmy buffet cd, some say just key the mike with jimmy in the backgound....na i would not do that.
Amen John

..... "taffytack3....taffytack3......come in.... this ....is ....sweetwhine....where do we meet for lunch..... over"

That arrangement takes 20 minutes with the ladies chirping away about a lunch destination.....OMG, click off goes the VHF.

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Here's me trying to fish in the mouth of the West River on a Wednesday night:

:boat: :boat: :boat: :boat: :boat:
:boat: :boat: :fishing2: :boat: :boat:

·
Premium Member
26,257 Posts
I troll so many lines and my tackle is heavy enough to land most sailboats that they give me plenty of room.:D Most of the sailboats are OK-I try not to troll near them-way too much $$$ behind the boat to risk it.Weekends are a differant story-try to get out early-most sailboats start out around 9-10 am.I've had good luck raising them on channel 16 then going to #74 to discuss the best course for both of us.Alot of them are amazed at the planer boards and how they work.Try to stay calm-sometimes they zig when we zag-they don't do it on purpose.You are dead on about the VHF radio though-damn their wives can talk!!! Skip

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.