Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see where catches of Croaker are being made in the Potomac and the Rappahannock. The stretch of water in between did not pay off for me yesterday. My GPS indicated I drove over 30 miles hopping around hot spots from previous years. 2016 may be the year of small Grey Trout in this area with a few ugly whitings mixed in. I did not get into the super shallow areas of 6' or so. And its still early.

collage.jpg

·
Registered
259 Posts
I see where catches of Croaker are being made in the Potomac and the Rappahannock. The stretch of water in between did not pay off for me yesterday. My GPS indicated I drove over 30 miles hopping around hot spots from previous years. 2016 may be the year of small Grey Trout in this area with a few ugly whitings mixed in. I did not get into the super shallow areas of 6' or so. And its still early.

View attachment 206058
The fish you call "whiting" looks more like a spotted hake aka ling cod to me. Croaker bite for me has only been ok mid Potomac either very early or at dusk.

·
Registered
218 Posts
croaker

Trying looking in 15 feet of water...anchor up with squid...if you do not catch one in 5 min or so move

We caught a bunch( lost count around 60 each day) just west of #12 to the NN side of the buoy

Good luck

View attachment 206058

·
Registered
913 Posts
Croakers I have been catching are in the 12-15' range. Havent done much of anything in more than 20'

·
Registered
328 Posts

Catching lots of silver perch in our creek over by Little Bay ... just north of Windmill Pt (some with decent eating size). That seemed strange to me. I don't show catches of these in past years, especially around Memorial Day week.

They appear to have chased out the rockfish that previously circled above the moonlight at night. I wonder if they are stealing the bait before the croaker have a chance. I've seen something similar happen when fishing for flounder. If you get in the mix of hardheads, you can't catch the flounder cause the croaker tear up the lines before the flounder ever get a chance.

Not unusual to get those small grey trout catches this time of year. Caught a small one down at Cape Charles on Tues. I just never see the big ones I used to catch fifteen years ago in the fall.

Joe posts . . .

·
Registered
628 Posts
A friend and I loaded up in the York yesterday, getting ready for cleaning party of two right now. May have to go and ring his doorbell, suppose to be over here at 8:00. We were working the water off the state park at Croaker, VA.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts