Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to catch minnows off my dock near Lewisetta. I have no problem catching them in the summer. Standard minnow trap, bread and dog food as bait.

The tide has been so low, I can't put the trap in the marsh grass where I usually put it. I tried in shallow water (about 1'), no luck, moved to deeper water (about 3') still no luck. I have had it in the water since Friday of last week, and not one minnow.

I want to try some perch fishing, but am lacking the minnows.

How do you all catch minnows this early in the Spring?

(I was thinking about going to a freshwater mill pond and putting my minnow trap there for a few days...as a desparation tactic!)

Any help would be appreciated!

-makoman

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I/m on the Coan about 1 mile up from Lewisetta and I see no minnows in the water this time of year. Looks sterile right now. I catch plenty in the summer in wire cages right next to shore in 1-2 ft. of water using dry cat food.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Coan Ranger, yea, I have no problems catching minnows in the Summer either.

Maybe my creek is too salty (or not salty enough) this time of year, and I need to go upstream some. I think I will try that, it is closer to my house than the closest mill pond!

Thanks for the help, I would try the styrofoam, but I don't think that would help!

-makoman
(counting down until April 21st)

·
Registered
65 Posts
I use Styrofoam in my minnow traps, I think they see the white color and think it's something to eat (maybe a fish belly?) - I catch all I need this way. No menhaden oil necessary, no muss , no fuss.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts