Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My friend is in the process of transforming an offshore racing hull into a pocket fisherman. She originally had twin big block Bowties with outdrives. Now she is equipped with a single diesel/straight inboard. I'll put up a couple pics & see if there is any interest. Thanks for looking.

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
That's cool,

kinda' looks like a Scarab.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support TidalFish.com!
7,173 Posts
Scarab

Interesting. That's a great design for either Bay or Ocean fishing. Thanks for posting the pictures. Jim

·
Banned
1,466 Posts
Sweet lookin boat and AWESOME work on the cabin. What kinda speed numbers are you getting?

Jim-looks like the board is gaining strenght.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
She hasn't been fishing yet. Still working out some bugs. Lightly loaded she ran almost 30 knots. That was from a hand held gps & averaged against the current in a canal. Ran it down current, turned & ran right back, averaged the two speeds. The first sea trial was about 65 nautical miles at 24 knots. She burned 20 gallons fuel. A half day of tubing with six souls on board, she used ten gallons. Being realistic, hoping to cruise at 22-24 knots loaded for tuna fishing. Still experimenting with a couple different wheels & also changing shaft rotation. With this setup you can go from cw to ccw & back again at any time. He's coming out of a twin diesel Hatteras that displaced 12 tons. This boat is taking big seas at higher speeds and riding a lot smoother than the big boat did. Glad to hear some feed back.

·
Banned
1,466 Posts
Thats some good milage. My boat burns alot even at 3500 rpms when it should be crusing at 4500 rpms (34 kts.)

·
Banned
1,466 Posts
Yeah shes a big baby. Amazingly though, it raised up about 5-7'' out of the water from the old POS. I never weighed it...maybe this winter.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support TidalFish.com!
7,173 Posts
Board

Ray - The BB board is gaining momentum and will only continue to grow since so many great posts and pics are being added. For my Simmons Sea Skiff poject, I advertised for help-needed in our local online newsletter and have enlisted some neighborhood kids that responded. Two kids (12 F and 20 M) showed up yesterday and enjoyed helping with strake #5. Riveting strakes was my first boat-building experience at the Chesapeake Maritime Museum. I'll be so glad to get the last strake up, possibly next Sunday, so I can start working on the frames. I can handle the rest of it solo but a number of kids are interested in learning (or making a little spending money), so I may put them to work here and there, esp. with the sanding and finishing. - Jim

1 - 10 of 10 Posts