Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I support TidalFish.
2,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today it was just my son Eric and me on the boat and I really enjoyed the day.

We came out of the Rhode into the West River and found 1.5' seas in the West. That wasn't supposed to be. As we came out of the West the seas got to 2' short chop with a stiff NE wind. When the boat came to an idle the bow would kick up a good spray. Eric would have gotten pretty wet setting an anchor to try for spot and that wouldn't have been good.

I knew Steve F was supposed to be out today so I gave him a call. He said it was fine on the east side do the bay so we decided not to get spot and head to Gum Thickets to jig fish. I set up in the same spot as yesterday and we had a steady pick of fish.

About an hour later I got a call from Steve and he said they were into a better grade of bluefish at Brickhouse bar. Eric said lets go so off we went. We did get some better fish there. It was fun showing Eric how to jig for them and see him get catch 'em.

It was getting to be around noon and Eric was fading fast as he didn't get to bed 'til close to 4AM (college kids:rolleyes:). He was snoozing so I went back to the Thickets. I looked around and didn't find anything interesting. We decide to troll for a change. I find trolling a very relaxing way to fish once the lines are out. Set out 4 rods with Clarke spoons and small Tony spoons. The spoons were on #2 and #1 planers and some lighter inline sinkers. Headed toward the mouth of Eastern Bay. We caught fish all along the way. Found some nice fish right by Bloody Point Light. It was starting to get late and decided to head back. As we were going over The Hill pulling in the lines a small rock decided to hit the #2 planer line.

As we were going across the bay to the Rhode we saw some birds working (little lying birds) and it was just bait no fish. Continued on and as we were getting close to the fish reef I saw a couple of splashes. We slowed down to investigate and found a bunch of fish in 18' of water. I caught a couple of doubles on a jig with dropper fly combo. We both caught a mixed bag of rock and blues for about 15 minutes. A nice exclamation point to the day.

The fishing was not as fast as yesterday but we did get between 30 - 40 fish during the day. It was a great day catching fish with my son.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Jerry, went with my Dad today and its just nice to get out with the Pops and show him how to fish every now and then:pp I did the 3am thing so I know how your son was feeling today. LOL

Dave

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Hey Jerry...............great times to remember:thumbup: 4:00 am..............that's when I usually get up to head to the boat:eek: Gettin too old to pull double duty like that...............Mark

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Jerry,

Sounds good. I am headed out on Monday without my son. Even though he goes to a Catholic School, he does not get Columbus Day off.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Sounds like a great day. Wish I could get out and jig up some fish tomorrow, but my gals parents are staying with us. They are not quite fisherman. And as for the 4am thing....(check time of this post) I'm usually the evening shift fisherman myself:D

·
Premium Member
7,830 Posts
Jerry, It was good seeing you and your son on the water yesterday, it did look like he was fading a little when we seen ya but I'm glad he had a good time. Sorry the fish were not as big as 2 weeks ago but we did have some nice once right before you got there and they were just a little bigger then what we had South. Hope to see you out there next week and maybe those blues will head South and the rock will start to bite. :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Getting some good catchin in there Jerry good reports

1 - 11 of 11 Posts