Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning, I just gotten a new boat to me and it has a Mercury 150xl and the old owner used Mercury premium synthetic blend in it but he did work at a Mercury dealer so it was easy to get but I live in Westminster and Quicksilver is available and curious if I can mix the two without issues. I,m not looking for promises . I have read they were the same but like real comments if possible. Thanks.

·
Registered
11,073 Posts
I can't answer that question but the Mercury synthetic is superior to regular oils as far as practically no smoke . Look up a Mercury Dealer or contact Mercury and get the right answer from the pros.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Perhaps you could ask the previous owner since he works at a Mercury dealer?

Off the record I use the Quicksilver synthetic sold at Wally world. And that would be the Westminster store.

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Part of the TCW certification is the ability to mix with other TCW oils.

I ran Merc Premium Plus for years. Tried a couple gallons of Pennzoil Premium Plus as it was easier to find locally. Same performance and low smoke as the Merc oil at half the price. Never went back.....

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Use the same oil that engine has been running on order it buy the case on line or were ever. That way when the merc blows up you won’t be blaming it on your self.

·
Registered
7,587 Posts
Good morning, I just gotten a new boat to me and it has a Mercury 150xl and the old owner used Mercury premium synthetic blend in it but he did work at a Mercury dealer so it was easy to get but I live in Westminster and Quicksilver is available and curious if I can mix the two without issues. I,m not looking for promises . I have read they were the same but like real comments if possible. Thanks.

·
Registered
7,587 Posts
Button fumbled is why this wasn’t attached to above quote. Sorry about that.

This might help, “THEY ARE EXACTLY THE SAME. Mercury stuff is sold at Mercury dealers while Quicksilver is sold at Walmart, Academy etc. This question gets asked a lot in the Merc section. THEY ARE EXACTLY THE SAME.”

·
Registered
11,073 Posts
If the Quicksilver is "synthetic" it is the same. I was understanding you to mean mixing synthetic oil with their natural, fossil oil blend

·
Registered
7,587 Posts
As stated above, if it’s labeled TC-W3, you can mix it. However, not all TC-W3 oils are the same, which is why some manufacturers recommend using their brand named oil. Difference being, more additives for adequate protection. The choice then becomes what the quote below summarizes.

Quote from Saltwater fishing mag article...

”As always, it comes down to a choice on your part. Go with the up-front savings and buy a less-expensive oil, hoping that it will provide adequate protection, or ante up for a pricier oil with all its additives, hoping that those additives really do provide additional protection. All of the oils that carry the TC-W3 credentials are good; you just have to decide if some are better than others.”

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
When I ran two stroke motors I used whatever was TC-W3 all different brands. I was buying Walmarts cheapo brand. I never any problems with any of my motors except my 250 hp Yamaha HPDI on a Pathfinder that kept blowing the # 2 and 4 cylinders. After 3 power heads I sold the boat. I only used Yamaha oil with that motor but it didn't matter. Today I have a couple of Suzuki 200 4 strokes on my Blackhawk CC which have only run on rec 90 octane and have never tasted ethanol. We are fortunate in Florida because the rec 90 gas is readily available throughout the state. I change oil every 100 hrs, a huge ripoff that the dealers get you good.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have used Quicksilver Premium Plus in my 1999 150efi Merc since I bought it in 2015. No issues. It is a synthetic blend. I buy it at walmart and it is the same as the Merc oil as has been stated. 20210401_103502.jpg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts