Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I also posted this on the offshore board…but I know there are a lot of guys that trailer boats from the Western shore of Md to run offshore, so I thought I’d ask here too…

I have a 250hp 2 stroke Yammahog on my boat, and from what I’ve read from Yamaha and other sources, you shouldn’t mix ethanol and mtbe (non-ethanol) fuel. Here’s the problem…
I live in A.A. County and fish the bay most of the time, and can only get ethanol! But I trailer the boat to Ocean City to fish inshore and offshore, and I like to fill up with the cheaper gas while I’m down there…everything below Cambridge is non-ethanol. How do you avoid mixing the two types if you travel between the two areas? Has anyone had any problems with mixing OC fuel and western shore fuel? Should I not even be concerned?

·
Registered
12,819 Posts
I have just the same problem as you,last year I tried to keep ethanol out of my tank but on two occasions I had no choice.I put my boat away with about 1/4 tank,but started it a few times with the hose.Last week I took the cover off and started it and let it run for a while than checked the racor it was water free.I`m just gonna use whats available and hope for the best.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I live in the Northern Virginia area and when they started getting the funny fuel in this area I gave Mercury a quick call. Running 225 Optimax. According to Mercury 10% ethanol should cause no problems, they have been testing for about 5 years now with the ethanol mixtures, if they go to 15% mixture that would be a serious problem. The folks at Mercury did state that if you have an older plastic type fuel tank it could cause problems with ethanol mixture. I am safe there as my ProLine has metal tank. they did suggest using a water seperator additive and filling tank and adding Stabil. Was expensive proposition as I hold 150 gallons. Hope this helps a bit.

Spooky II

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Runnin Late-
Please include any info that you get from your offshore forum to this one. I am very interested, and I'm sure that a lot of other guys and girls here would like to know IF we are potentially damaging our motors. Thanks Tim

·
Registered
44 Posts
check with boaters world in severna park. there are 2 different stabilizers. 1 is for straight gas and 1 for ethanol blends. i live in aa co. as well and i use what ever fuel is available and add both types of stabilizers so i don't think i have to worry about mixing the 2 types of fuel. hope this helps.

·
Registered
80 Posts
If you cant avoid mixing fuels try to run the tank as low as possible before refueling with a different type fuel. Also use EZORB to restore any e10 that has mixed with water and separated. Make sure you run Racors or any other good quality 10 micron inline filter to filter the gas before it goes to your engine. I use the Racor with the clear bowl to see if I get any fuel separation or abnormally high sediment concentration (the e10 will clean up your tank from all the **** that has accumulated over the years).

·
Registered
959 Posts
The main problem with mixing mtbe with e-10 is phase seperation.

You want to be as empty as possible on one when filling with the other.

I too live in AA and trailer to OC. I plan on trailering east of Cambridge for good fuel and keeping it MTBE.

The other option is I have two tanks. 95 in the main and 55 in the auxillary.

If it becomes an issue, I may keep the auxillary E-10 and the main MTBE.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SEA Sleuth, I was considering the same thing...main tank is 96 gal. and aux tank is 48gal.
Not only does the fuel on the lower shore not have ethanol...IT'S CHEAPER!

·
Registered
397 Posts
R.L., thats the reason it's cheaper. :yes: Same deal in Fredericksburg va. I live in Stafford Co. but fill the boat in Spotsylvania Co. I can save at least .15-.20 cents per gallon. :thumbup:

·
Registered
472 Posts
I think you're confusing 2 issues.

MTBE blended fuels:
As far as I know noboby even sells MTBE gas blends anymore because of the problems with the fuel leaking into ground water supplies. Thus the reason all gasoline suppliers were forced to switch to E10. Now with the switch from MTBE to E10 caused "phase separation" issues clogging fuel filters, etc. I had to deal with this and get my tank cleaned but only because of the left over gas from 2005.

E10 blended fuels:
Last year with the big switch to E10 blended fuels I called the corporate fuel buyer (Rob) for Royal Farms and he told me that from Cambridge south all along the eastern shore are conventional gasoline (no E10, no MTBE). That's because these areas along the Eastern shore are NOT required to have clean air fuel mixtures and the reason their fuel prices are cheaper. Plus the Royal Farm stores in Cambridge & Chincoteague are brand new so you shouldn't need to worry about old tanks and their related sludge getting into your fuel tank.

So if you trailer back and forth all you are doing is diluting the E10 fuel when you add conventional gasoline. For example if you half tank of E10 and trailer to Ocean City and fill up... Now your fuel is basically contains a 5% mixture of Ethanol instead of 10%.

Thanks, Fishing-Rod

Note: I don't know specifics about the other gas chains or what type of gas they stock and where.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I blieve that Fishing Rod is right on the money...............No more MTBE anywhere.....so the mixing issue is history..........the problem is/was the MTBE and the resultant phase separation.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fishing-Rod...so what you are saying is that when I fill up at the Royal Farms in OC (that's where I usually fill up) the fuel does not contain MTBE and without that there is no problem with Phase separation.........??? I'm not afraid to admit that I'm a little slow sometimes.:wacko:

·
Registered
472 Posts
Correct, (no E10, no MTBE) the Royal Farms from Cambridge south on the Eastern Shore.

According to Rob @ Royal Farms:
As of Jun 12, 2006 (last year) that all MTBE blended fuel are completely eliminated from of their inventory and they will only supply E10 fuel on the Western Shore or conventional gasoline (without any clean are fuel additives) from Cambridge south on the Eastern Shore.

Thanks, Fishing-Rod

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Fishing-Rod,

Thanks for posting this info, do you or anyone else know if all gas station are required to post if their gas is 10% EtOH (E10). I know all gas station here in DE have it posted at the pumps.

·
Registered
397 Posts
In northern Va. all the pumps have stickers that say 10% ethanol on them.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the info Rod...and thanks to everybody for pitching in...

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Man, I can believe it took Rod to straighten most everyone out.

MTBE and Ethanol are both oxygenates. They allow gas to burned cleaner.

Do you guys remember places like the Exxon station in Harford Co that contaminated the water in the area with MTBE? Although MTBE is a better oxygenate and still legal, the reason the fuel companies are forcing Ethanol down our throats are because there is not protection from litigation.

As is now and in the past, OC and other areas of the Eastern shore of MD has never had oxygenated gas. This means they never had MTBE or Ethanol in their gas.

Like Rod said, if you use fill 50% with E10 then add 50% gas from OC, MD to fill up, you're now running E5.

BTW, straight gas is also cheaper then E10 and has more BTUs.

- Dae

·
Registered
9,006 Posts
I live in the Northern Virginia area and when they started getting the funny fuel in this area I gave Mercury a quick call. Running 225 Optimax. According to Mercury 10% ethanol should cause no problems, they have been testing for about 5 years now with the ethanol mixtures, if they go to 15% mixture that would be a serious problem. The folks at Mercury did state that if you have an older plastic type fuel tank it could cause problems with ethanol mixture. I am safe there as my ProLine has metal tank. they did suggest using a water seperator additive and filling tank and adding Stabil. Was expensive proposition as I hold 150 gallons. Hope this helps a bit.

Spooky II
Are you sure they said older "Plastic" Tanks?And not Fiberglass???

1 - 20 of 23 Posts