Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber
2,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got through the cut at about 2pm, I tried a couple spots without any luck, then I found a spot where there was some nice fish, I only caught 4 between 25" and 30", but I probally had twice as many hits that got off,some of them felt like they were pretty big. it eventually started to get slow so I tried one more spot before heading in for the evening, this spot was loaded with fish, eventhough most were only from 18" to 24", the numbers made up for it, I had a blast jigging up fish after fish. The water temp on my FF was only 56.5. It was kinda cold while running also, I was wishing I had a hat, gloves and chapstick.
This fish looked healthy except for an ungly sore on its lip, so I used my lippa 0n it. I released everything

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Nice fish Zam. Thanks for the report. Nice quality fish your catching

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Zam - your faithful reporting is most appreciated and most jealousy-producing!!! Thanks for the reports.

·
Premium Member
12,554 Posts
Zam I must say that you sure have those fish dialed in, keep that up you won't need to head south to the promise land:rockingreport:

·
Premium Member
2,411 Posts
Well, not much more to say that hasn't been said.:bigfish:

Nice going ZAM, thanks again for reporting. Still on metal?

TIGHT LINES!!

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Zam I must say that you sure have those fish dialed in, keep that up you won't need to head south to the promise land:rockingreport:
---John , the Delaware run will be here soon ---Article December 19th or so --2004Fish caught One Of Many that day

--
Charter captain baits, switches

By Bill Burton, For The Capital ---

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
At times, it's not practical to practice what one preaches. Take as an example, fishing, and switching techniques.
Two weeks ago, Capt. George Prenant, skipper of the charterboat Stormy Petrel out of Deale was lamenting the catching in the waning days of Maryland's striped bass season.

For those targeting big sea-run fish, said George then, it's primarily a boat ride, but if that's what anglers wanted to do, he suggested we head south - which he had just done and came home empty handed. And he advised trolling deep.

It would be more practical, he said, to use smaller baits and take chances on catching smaller, though some keeper rockfish, closer to home ports in the mid and upper bay. But, as with just about all fishermen, the lure of big fish is hard to ignore. So, what does George do?

Last Sunday, he ignored his own advice; you might say he mixed up the options he had laid out for fishermen. He sailed with the intent to hook a big fish, but not via a long run to the south. Moreover, he also ignored his own suggestion to put all the baits down on the floor of the Chesapeake.

He rigged a No. 21 Tony Accetta spoon of white on a long line of Spectra weighted with only 6 ounces of lead sinker - and fished it not way down the bay, but practically in his own back yard. In mid-channel east of Deale at 8:30 a.m., there came a blistering strike.

At the rod was 13-year-old Zachary Pilkins of Bealton, Va., who caught what might well be the biggest fish of his lifetime - even if he fishes to be a hundred. When the striper was brought aboard the Stormy Petrel it measured 51 inches, its girth was 29 inches. The old scales on the boat indicated it was of 49 pounds, but more accurate scales shoreside showed 48 pounds. When a fish is that big who's going to argue about a pound?

But, there is much to argue about in the bay these days.

There are more than a few anglers who will argue the disappointing run of late season fish from the ocean can be blamed on a lack of menhaden in the bay. We all know that fish go where there's something to eat - and menhaden are menu favorites of big rockfish. Not enough menhaden, not enough fish on the chase for them.

Insufficient menhaden stocks might also play a role in disappointing runs of bluefish. This year, there were plenty of big bluefish off the mid-Atlantic shore - yet few if any made the turn west into the Chesapeake as they did a couple of decades back. We got only the smaller ones - and they were late. Thankfully, Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission is finally studying the bay's menhaden situation though it will probably take some time and bureaucratic wrangling before something can be done to curtail the catching of these forage fish by the fleet out of Reedville, Va. When conservation bucks the economics of a commercial fishery - and the Reedville fleet is big business - corrective measures are slow in coming.

Also being argued is ASMFC's suggestion that the moratorium be lifted on fishing, commercially and recreationally, for rockfish in federal waters along the coast - federal waters being from 3 miles offshore to 200 miles. Many area fishermen and their organizations oppose this change, they claim it will increase pressure on big stripers of the ocean. Some states to the north favor it.

Currently it's permissible to fish rockfish within three miles of shore, which makes for the legality of the current bonanza of big fish catching at the mouth of the Chesapeake, and in the next month or two in waters off Virginia Beach to the Outer Banks of North Carolina where stripers winter over.

For the time being, National Oceanographic Atmospheric Administration has the recommendation on "hold" pending a study of striper stock assessments and what the proposal would do to rockfish numbers.

Think of what this change could do to sea run fish that migrate past the three-mile limit. The stripers would be continually hammered as they head north or south. If catching techniques could be refined thanks to modern electronics fish that now have sanctuary outside the three-mile line could possibly be caught in incredible numbers.

At places like Ocean City, if migration patterns could be determined, we'd have another catching bonanza as they now have at the mouth of the bay inside the three-mile limit. What would be left to enter the Chesapeake in the late fall run? That is if there were enough menhaden in the bay to attract the fish into our waters.

There could possibly/probably be a busy, productive and profitable fishery for ocean fishermen off Ocean City and elsewhere, but the fish they would be working on in late summer and fall would be those of which some could head into the bay. Sure rockfish have bounded back beyond our wildest dreams, but methinks we tend to forget about those lean years that led to the moratorium all along the coast.

Like many other fishermen, I'm beginning to worry that those who manage our fishery might be stretching things a bit far. Our DNR has taken no official position on this three-mile recommendation as yet, but some states to the north like the idea.

It seems the time has come when fishermen hereabouts should take more interest in and be more involved in the overall rockfish situation than just the catching of them - that is if we want 13-year-olds like Zachary Pilkins (or any other anglers) to have a chance to catch trophy fish in the future.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support Tidal Fish
4,199 Posts
Zam how is this fall comparing to last for you?Nice going,you certainly have been pulling in some nice fish...thanks for the reports and pics.

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber
2,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Zam how is this fall comparing to last for you?Nice going,you certainly have been pulling in some nice fish...thanks for the reports and pics.
I thought last year was a really slow year for the upper bay, I had a some good days but this year is much better. I've been fishing the upper bay my whole life ( Im 45). Avidly by boat for over 25 years, ( I actually fished more back then then I do now). And I never remember there being so many nice Stripers. Its true that I am a much better fishermen now, but I knew the basics back then, and Im fishing the same spots. It actually puzzles me when some try to claim that the population is low

·
Premium Member
7,830 Posts
Zam, can I be your HO?????? Damn you sure do have those fish diled in thanks for the report and they are some nice fat fishl :thumbup:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts