Tidal Fish Forum banner

Mobjack Bay trip...need help.

4K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  colonel_corn 
#1 ·
Will be down in the Mobjack area (mouth of the East River) next weekend. Taking my 17' Whaler and would like to do some fishing. I've never fished this area and frankly, I'm a novice when it comes to fishing the Bay. Can someone give me a few pointers as to what to target, with what and where to go. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. Dave.

#4 ·
The channel edges at the mouth of East River are usually good for croaks and spot. The locals fish pier pilings in the evening for stripers.

Mobjack Bay is relatively featureless and fish are usually scattered all through it. There is a deep hole in the mouth of North River that is worth checking out.

If you like country music, go to Dobbs theater on Saturday night for Virginia's Lil' Ol' Opry. Check the Mathews County web site for info.

#6 ·
Thank you guys...it sounds like there is at least something to target in the vicinity. Just getting my feet wet, so I'll be sure to do some more research on techniques before I go. My boat is back breaker in choppy conditions so the run to Back River Reef will have to be a game time decision.

Cwoods, I came across Dobbs Theatre via the Mathews website a while back...looks like a foot stompin' good time. I may check it out.

Cheers. Dave.

#7 ·
MobJack is a tough place to get to know and I've been doing it for two years now. You're in luck because the high tide is first thing in the morning and right at sunset for the area this weekend. Here's a little help:

If you are trying to target specks, puppy drum, or rockfish (catch and release): locate weed flats/shorelines that have a 3-4' drop off next to them (study your chart book). Fish the flood tide and use 1/4 oz jig heads with paddle tail grubs (chartruese, white, pink, or black all work). Any casting minnow plug would work as well. Name of the game is stealth and water depth. Crabs or minnows if your using bait. If your drifting target a shore line that lets the wind move you along it in the right direction (obvious but worth mentioning).

If your croaker fishing target channel edges and points. Use a standard two hook bottom rig with a #6 or #8 hook (you can get away with using a 1/0 kahle hook. An ounce or two of lead and your set. Gulp bloodworms work well if you don't want to go with fresh bait (squid, shrimp, bloodworms). I've had good luck with bull croaker drifting the flats while pulling 1/8 - 1/4 oz jig heads tipped with crab or crubs.

The only flounder I've caught in the MobJack have been incidental. The bottom is too muddy in most places to consistently hold flounder. If it's calm you can try New Point Comfort Shoals at the mouth of the MJ. I got into some flounder there last weekend (although the sharks were more hungry). Naked minnows work well as do croaker strips (filet the croaker and cut the filet into 3-4" strips).

This whole area is tide influenced....the fish bite when the tide is moving. Sometimes they turn on an hour before or after slack, sometimes its right in the middle. Use the low slack to enjoy lunch or take a swim.

Best of luck. I hope you find a hole that home to some fish....

PD

#9 ·
Agree with what PD wrote. Mobjack has more grass beds than most areas and holds a lot more speckled trout. Drifting drop offs near the grass with shedder crab or crappie jigs works well on the specs, but if the croaker are still around, that's mostly what you will catch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.