Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had all day to fish, so headed out to Mobjack Bay early AM. Saw some bird activity over by the mouth of the York, but very sporadic and they wouldn't stay put. Looked like some times the birds would hit and move 20 yards, and I was running 20 trying to get ahead of them. Never got close enough to cast to a working school. Only saw one small rock boated by other boats. Finally gave up at 1 when the tide died and headed home. Noticed some gulls sitting in the North River and marked some fish. Came back out at 2, and didn't see the gulls anywhere. Decided to troll back home, and about 15 minutes before "go home" time, saw my big rod bend over. Thought I had snagged bottom, but then I felt it bounce. BIG fish! Good fight; managed to net it and get it aboard. 38" and nice and fat. Hit my white/black shad umbrella rig. Biggest fish I have ever caught in the North river; just off the oyster grounds on the Matthews shore, north of the East river. No birds, no marks, just a big hungry fish :) Had a 12" menhaden inside of it.

Good dinner later this week; a bucket of oysters and rockfish fillets :)

·
Registered
563 Posts
Nice report. I believe there are quite a few big rockfish in the Mobjack area. I couldn't find an under slot fish on Friday. There were lots of good marks at the mouth of the Mobjack.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts