Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out on a charter the other week and they were using mojo's. I've been reading this board and it seems every one is using mojos. I just bought a 24 cc and will be fishing your area and was wondering if anyone uses downriggers instead. It seems to me that you could use a little lighter tackle if you aren't dragging that mojo around and the fight might be better.

Any info anyone can provide would be helpful. This new to me. My only real fishing experience is for Fluke.

Thanks in advance

Joe

·
Registered
76 Posts
Joe,

Not sure what you're putting at the end of your downriggers, but we catch alot of fish on the Mojo itself, as well as on what is trailing the Mojo (double hookups are not uncommon). Bucktails, spoons, Storms, Tomics, etc. can all be trailed behind a Mojo, so the Mojo is yet another bait with the possibility of catching fish - don't think a downrigger is used that way.

The fight probably would be a little better with lighter gear, but I believe most folks here use something in the 5 1/2' to 6 1/2', 30# class of rod (for stripers anyway), and a reel in the Penn 320 class with anywhere from 30# to 100# line (braided or mono). The action is pretty good on a 6 1/2' 30# rod with a 45lb striper on the other end Mojo or no Mojo.

Planer boards could be used to get baits down too, but, again, the planer isn't a bait. That's just my .02 worth...

·
Registered
420 Posts
It's also about covering the water column and placing lures so x number of people can fish the pit. We fish 5 or 6 anglers in the pit. Heavy mojos front and high with lighter mojos back and down. Way back down the center w/inline sinker. Mojos just give us more options.

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
I agree with what has been said. I have a set of downriggers and I've trying to figure out what there best use is. I've run them with z-wings, old salty planers, ball weights, and pancake weights both inshore and offshore. So far, they just don't seem to be worth the trouble plus it's something else in the water you have to clear if it's a bigger fish who might run and cross the downrigger line.

Pursuit is right, for stripers and most fishing, it's about covering the water colomn as you never know for sure exactly what depth the big one is lurking. With the exception of running a stretch, all my lines have at least 2 lures using a 3 way swivel. I run my mojos off a Penn 320 wireline that gets it down deep.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the responses. As I said, I'm new to this so please bear with me.

I thought that I could run the downrigger with the same lures as with a mojo (except wouldn't have the mojo as a lure) and would be able to get the lure to an exact depth. But, I wouldn't have to drag an extra 3 or 4 pounds on my line. So as far as covering the water column, wouldn't a downrigger be better?

Pursuit,

I'm confused (now really showing my ignorance) about your spread. Wouldn't you use the heave mojos to get down deep? I guess getting deep is more a function of distance than weight?

Thanks again,

Joe

·
Premium Member
26,149 Posts
Joe-I've been using downriggers fo 20 years.Love them.I like to pull umbrellas from them.We let 30-40 of line out then twist it about ten times.Put this loop in the clip.Use mono for this.Braided line requires a rubber band.Tandems can also be trolled-try a Storm with a 6 oz Parachute drop bait.The 13/0 Cripple Alewive works great-be sure to use 2 Sampo ball bearing swivels on the leader.I use a 12 lb cannonball.Try setting it 5' deeper then where fish are showing on the meter-the ball/bait rides higher then the amount of cable out.Some days the downriggers catch most of our fish.Great if alot of boats are around because your line goes straight down.Good luck-B-mail me if you need any more details. Skip

·
Registered
717 Posts
I agree with 27 sailfish. I run a downrigger in my spread. it allows me to throw a lot of different options out there. Don't rule out the wonders of the Mojo though, work them in your spread! The downriggers do require more attention to water depth and depth thefish are running.

I recently tried using my downrigger live lining eels with outstanding success! instead of haveing to use a heavier weight to keep them down a used the downrigger and a light release with a snubber (used for lake tout on Lake Ontario and the Great lakes). manged to get 3 citations from 49" to 46" in 2 hrs! The other lines with conventional rigs worked but only brout in a couple 30's. I contribute it to the flood tide and the downrigger was the only way to get the eels to the bottom. (My opinion). I have use similar tequniques on drum and cobia as well!

Both have thier place but EXPERIMENT... There is alot of way to use them and the more you use them the more proficient you will become. Within 2 hrs I can usually have the guys in the well pretty proficient and they do catch fish! All species...

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Mojo's...no question. It allows you to fish a big bait deep plus the trailing bait. I've caught too many large fish on a mojo/12"shad body just off the bottom to make me even think about a downrigger.

I know a downrigger would be effective but I don't think it's worth the extra time and hassle. Plus, we jig our deep lines when we see the marks and you'd be surprised at the number of times we're in the fish, just pick up the rod and one or two jigs and you're hooked up.

Good luck out there...

Glenn

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
I guess just try them out then...I think you can fish Stripers more effectively without them, but that's just me. I really don't want the ball in the way while I'm figting fish and whatever...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts