Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the moldcraft wide range really have a top and buttom as it has no keel weight and seems to be symetrical? On one hand I would believe that if it does nor have a true top and buttom side a hook lock does not make sense as one would not be a able to position hook with its barb upward. On the other hand, will the hook lock actually help the lure swim with it top color upward considering if the hook acts as a rudder and keel (seems unlikely that the hook would apply more force to position the lure then its own head) or would the hook lock in this specific case limit the way the lure is designed to run if it really is designed to have no top or buttom?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Good Morning,
There is a couple of ways to approach this. You are correct in saying there is no "up side" to the lure. Where as most lures have lead in them on the "down side" the wide range does not.
That being said. With this style of lure I use the pakula swivel hook set with keel weight. You would crimp this on not using a hook lock. These are pre made in many sizes to fit many lures. Then I wax line the keel weight onto the bottom of the hook. This way as the lure turns and rolls hypothetically the hook stays with point up. We have had great success with this hook set over the last 3 season in many lures. This should work for your application. Also I probably have 40 of theses in my tackle stock. I will sell my extras at half the price of new. I can ship 443 392 4926.
Any of questions let me know.
Austin
Primary Search Sportfishing- 12/24 Hr charters
Primary Search Fisheries- Boat to table seafood

1 - 2 of 2 Posts