Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got out on the water in the "Midbay" area Monday am...not as early as I wanted but there's this thing called work that keeps messin' up my plans.......:helpsmilie:

Met up with Glenn and Bob Drewen who I fish with on occasion and always have a great time....ran out into the river and there were already about 15 boats trolling.....What a cluster #@*& that was.......amazing watching all of those boats spinnin' around in circles catchin' dinks...with 20oz sinkers and giant fishin' rods...everytime a few birds would hit the water a whole bunch of boats would turn there 40 rod spread towards and run em' off........
I just laughed...anyway we stayed as far away from that circus as we could....found some good pods of fish up to 30" in the same general area....key is to get away from the noise....
These are some really nice fat fish ...with broad shoulders and they put up a really nice fight on light tackle....many many doubles....
I was using a 3/4 oz jighead with 6" Alewive BKD with a black/silver dropper fly above...
Bob and Glenn used metal and sometimes a BKD...with flies attached also....
Weather was really nice with water temp at *57....Strong Incoming tide....
Having a double with a nice fat 26" on the bottom and a fat 24' on the top is a nice double on 6'8ft Med action St. croix Legend.....3000 Shimano Saros with #10 Power pro...I use #30 Mono leaders..

This is the best time of the year for LTJing....the fish are very flighty of boat noise and my motor is a 4 stroke which is very quiet....u really need to drift into these fish....
Get out there guys while it's HOT.......We probably caught in the 75 fish range.....with only a handful of fish that were 17" or so...the rest were all 24-26....with 1 at 28" and 1 at 30"...2 bigger fish had sea lice all over them...
Heres some pics of our fish....one fish was a 22" in the pic but it was bleeding so we kept it....
I'm No Francis or Phil but I think we held the fish up the wrong way.........:D:D

Attachments

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber
2,741 Posts
WTG!!Theres no doubt that noise spooks them, yesterday when I was fishing, even my trolling motor was spooking them, everytime I would move with it the fish would disappear from my FF screen, as soon as I turned it off they would stack up under the boat again

·
Registered
826 Posts
I know about that thing called work. It has kept me off the water for 16 days now. Reading your report makes it a little harder to wait another three days. Congrats on another good day on the bay.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Looks like you had a banner day out there Jamie.......I thought the official agreement was: that you only fish Wedsdays and leave the rest of the week for the rest of us???:thumbup: How do you expect the rest of us to do any good when your out there catching them all.:clapping2:

Bill

·
Registered
345 Posts
:rockingreport:Beautiful fish, I cannot wait to get back on the water. Thanks for the report.

Eric

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
I saw your name and Monday in the heading. Had to rub my eyes to make sure I wasnt seeing things. Great job on the catching and thanks for the lure descriptions.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
What are you doing out on a Monday. Your screwing my week all up:D

Those are some nice grade fish. Looks like the fall run is here. Nice job and great report.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Nice report Jamie:thumbup: Waiting for the right day to get out and get my new jigs wet. Stopped by Marty's yesterday and picked Jim's brain for some how-tos. ...Don

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Haha Great report Jamie. Glad you got some bigger ones. See you for sure in a few weeks! Getting excited for the CBBT yet? I know I am.

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Nice fish. Great report too. Why don't people get the quite thing? When you go hunting, you try to be as silent as possible. Heck, even when you sneak up behind your wife, you gotta be be quite..... but fishing, vroom vroom! The proof is in the results. Thanks for the report and tip.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Nice Report

We had an almost identical trip last friday catching on both sides of the bay,probably 100 or so fish with 5 around 28" and a few unders on the western shore. Did the same thing,got em on the meter after other boats moved and had em to ourselves for an hour with 10 boats about 500 yards away:D. I heard about the sea lice but didn't rember seeing any when washing down the boat. I have been saying it for a month that I thought we should have lots of schools with mostly keepers and plenty of overs or just at 28" based on my catches and what I heard so I definately agree it should be awsome for 3-4 weeks. I LIKE the REMINDER to drift QUIETLY!:eek2::D See you at the tunnel soon.

Johnny O

·
Premium Member
26,103 Posts
Those trollers were all responding to a MAY DAY call - a 3/4 full box of Dunkin' donuts fell over from one of the boats.They were trying to get to it before the birds did :D:D:D.8 of the 9 were rescued - one died a soggy death.

I will agree 20 ozs sucks for small fish- cool deal on getting them LTJ :thumbup:.

FYI: When I'm diving- no doubt a four stroke is less noisy but it still makes noise.The big thing though is shifting gears - that is LOUD :eek2:. Some guys are now turning the engine off while in gear (idle speed) to avoid that loud noise.I can tell from 35 feet down when a boat goes from forward to neutral - not sure how a fish hears/feels it but something to keep in mind on the tough days.

Thanks for tip :thumbup: - I'll add another 200 feet to my planer lines :pp:pp.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Nice work Jamie i am sick of catching all those little fish. Those fatties make me want to go fishing

-Mike

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Sounds like another fish catching day Jamie and it's only gonna get better. Where John Henry? Still recovering from that treble you sank into his hand?:D

·
Premium Member
4,735 Posts
WTG, Jamie.

glad to see you're still on them and that they are getting bigger!

·
Registered
472 Posts
Jamie, AWESOME report!:clap:

However you've got to stop this mid-week reports, or you will be responsible for all the Sick Days, PDOs, and decrease of workplace productivity :wacko:

Thanks, Fishing-Rod

·
Registered
12,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Skip thats an intersting tip about shutting off motor while in gear........may try that...
I think this mid week fishing is better for sure.........

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
OK, no jokes today. I bow to the king.:yes: Nice going there buddy.:rockingreport: You just might see me out there soon but first the gang is off to NC this weekend for albies and amberjacks.:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts