Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my kids fishing out of westmoreland s.p. last weekend. We fished around Cobb Island and also the va side of the Potomac. We caught lots of small spot, perch, and croakers on bottom rigs, but only a couple of keepers.

How do I find the bigger fish? Deeper water?

I used fishbites -- maybe I should have cut up some of the spot?

Looking over this forum, most of the action seems further south. Is the fishing better further downriver? Why?

I am a transplanted midwestern bass fisherman, I don't know much about saltwater fishing (or live bait, for that matter) but
I am amazed at the productivity of this fishery. Seems like whereever we went, plunk down our rigs and we would start catching fish. My 7-year old and 4-year old had a blast, but I need to find some bigger fish that they can keep and eat. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance, any help appreciated!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey Jared,
I have been bottom fishing just down river from the park on the sand bar off of Shark's Tooth Island, in about 14-19 feet of water and have had no problem with catching croaker's spot or perch. I use cut squid. and drift over the sand bar. It is a fairly short run for you to ride down from the park.
Good luck
Seadogg
[wink]

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
jared, if you would like to learn more about fishing the Potomac and the Bay, you might consider joining the Northern Neck Anglers Club. The Club's goal is to enhance recreational sport fishing in the area by having educational programs, fishing events, and member association.
If you would like more information, b-mail me your name and address and I will mail it to you. Capt. Dave

·
Registered
767 Posts
Jared,
This Fall there should be good fishing for larger (possibly huge!) striped bass in the river. Downriver from you, closer to the bay, would be a good place to try. If you have a boat that is safe to make the haul you might have some luck. Of course there are going to be fish up your way too. I would start watching and ask questions about Fall setups so you'll be ready. It will probably require some big tackle purchases so butter up the wife! In addition to the NNAC there is the Potomac River Anglers Club website that you should Google then register for. It is free and you'll be able to talk with people that fish all over the Potomac River.
Good Luck,
Paul
Sea King

1 - 4 of 4 Posts