Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had to pack it in early on Monday so instead of fishing the ebb like we did Sunday afternoon, we had to fish the flood in the morning.

Also had a late start due to the need to have to do some electrical work on the dock at low tide.

On the way out to #9 we noticed that the mouth of the Yeo was full of bait but nothing eating them. When we got to where Sunday's mêlée started, there were lots of birds but they all looked like they were just getting home from a wild time at the Old Country Buffet - Lazily sitting on the water in their respective species groups. When you pulled up to them, the few that could fly off had to jettison some weight to get airborne - Others just pooped and swam off - Seemed like there must have been a big bite at sunrise that we missed!

We putted around looking for marks on the fishfinder but it was hard to find the fish as they water was slick calm and fish oil slicks that were giving up the big biters on the bottom were impossible to pick out. We slowly worked out way south towards 7 and managed to catch about a dozen 19 - 24" stripes in about an hour. Eventually, a little breeze filled in which gave us enough texture to zero in on more specific areas to work the fishfinder. As we got our rhythm back, we started crushing them and the same pattern from Sunday resumed. We only had an our so before we had to pack up but we caught another 60+ fish in that time.

Of note:

• Fish on the ebb were biting in 40', on the flood they moved into 25 - 35'
  • Once we started hammering them, we caught no stripes under 20" off the bottom. I made a few casts with the fly rod and did manage to catch 6 or so punk stripes with a crab colored clouser as well as a good number of blues.
  • Lots more blues than Sunday - They seemed to be thickest within 100 yards of #7
  • Big decrease in water clarity\quality on Monday vs. Sunday. Sunday, you could easily see your jig 15 - 20' down, Monday it was less than 5' in spots. Lots more trash in the water as well!

·
Registered
44 Posts
that's great info. Thanks. I am headed out on Thursday Friday this week. What where are you using to jig them up off the bottom. As 3weeks ago I couldn't find any keeper size fish. Although they were schooling on the baitballs. What size were the jigs ? Sorry to be nosy but I am new at this. Thanks

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We were primarily using lil-bunkers gold and chartreuse in 1.5 and 2.0 oz. Stingsilvers were as productive (on Sunday) but as the few that I had already rigged broke off I replaced them with more lil' Bunkers as the single hook was a lot easier to deal with.

The lil' bunkers have a fluttery drift down (sink) that takes a little practice to get used to but I found that if you make sudden stops and jigs every 5 - 10 feet on the way down you will often have a fish on the line. If you did not get a hook up on the way down, then a fast jiggy retrieve on the way up will get you bit.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks that's very helpful. I will be out Thursday thru sunday. I will listen for you on radio. My place is just in from mouth of yeo. I see Gracie girl most times I am out fishing. Thanks again. Hopefully I have some of the same luck!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts