Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today is break out all fishing gear and clean it up day, airbrushing old lures, re-spooling and basically getting ready.

I have several spools of mono I am putting on certain reels.How long do you trust Mono on the original spool? I would hate to re spool with old stuff but I dont want to waste it either. I think this 14lb and 20 lb has been on the spool for 2 years maybe?

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I just tossed out a couple of spools of unused mono. It wasn't that the line looked bad - but it had so much memory from sitting for a few years that it looked like a slinky coming off. Just didn't need the agrivation when new soft mono is pretty cheap.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
I've used mono off of an original spool that I've had a long time before and it has performed fine. I'm referring to quality name brand line here not cheap stuff. If stored properly it should last years. After I spool it on I spray it with Reel Magic or silicone. Once its on the spool, I change it every year or so. Use your own judgement. Look at the line, feel it, tug on it, if it breaks easily get rid of it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts