Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a couple of new rods. I'm trying to decide whether to use mono or braid. I've always used 50 lb power pro for my trolling rods. Are there any advantages in using mono over braid? Any advice will be appreciated. Tight Lines

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
personal preference and depending if you will use rods for other purposes (offshore) Braid will get line deeper quicker and mono stretches- I use the high vis yellow braid so you can see you r lines in the spread- Good luck- Big fish on the way!!!!:yes::yes::yes::yes:

·
Registered
670 Posts
Braid !!!

Braid cost more but trolls way better. Also put 30 Lb on smaller casting rods for thowing bucktails and lures. casts great. The thing I like the most about Braid is you can feel every little thing. Off shore you need mono

·
Registered
477 Posts
I use hi-vis mono for one reason & one reason only. When the Rockfish start to school up & every Darrell within a 20 mile radious starts trolling in a 1/4 mile area I invariable wind up having to go to emergency avoidance mode. If mono tangles, it is quick & easy to untangle. With braid, I save time by cutting & tossing it in the trash. There ain't THAT much difference in the trolling capabilities of the two that I feel the aggravition is worth it. I use wire for my deep lines anyway.

·
Registered
708 Posts
my 2 cents

mono!! Agree with other poster, tangles are impossible to reconcile with braid, can cut the **** out of your hands, and I catch PLENTY with mono!! ;-)

·
Registered
8,600 Posts
I just respooled all my trolling rods (330gtis with 20-40lb rods) last night with what i had on them... 30lb Momoi diamond line. (the worlds greatest mono :D )

1. Cut tangles out.
2. dont need to worry as much with inexperienced friends, clients, kids getting cut
3. ties more easily
4. less expensive

personally I dont see any need for anything heavier than 30lb test on the bay unless you are fishing every day. I run the 30lb diamond line and 60lb ande leaders on everything from tandems to umbrellas and spoons. We have landed fish up to 48lbs without issue.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Had some rods in mono and some in 80lb power pro last year. Umbrellas w/braid all the way and tandems w/braid to 60 lb mono leaders. Switched all rods to 80lb power pro this fall. I really think the braid breaks the rubberbands on the planer lines better. Big pain if fish on the furthest lines aren't breaking the band. Had a couple instances of braid tangles
and wanted to end it all right then and there but I think its worth it especially if you catch the BIG one. Don't have to worry as much about kinks and stuff

·
Registered
670 Posts
Braid !!

The best application for braid is a lite casting rod Heavy action with a good open bail reel. For flounder it helps you feel the bottom. and a lite strike. For casting I get very few tangles as there is no memory and it come off the real straight. Used this same set up for casting bucktail to cobia. put a 50 lb cobia in the box on 30 lb braid. I even set up a 11' Tica with 10 bl braid for casting metal, bucktails and, small lure to spanish from the beach. I love the way it casts...

·
Registered
55 Posts
the apllications of mono and braid are endless, to say "mono only for offshore is crazy" as is "braid for trolling for rock", each person has their own gameplan, you need to understand the differences and advantages of how every part fits into your spread or whatever, i mean braid comes in handy offshore when pulling a rod planer for wahoos, i mean 150lb powerpro will pull betetr and deeper with the same size planar off a 50 wide, 200 will pull a little lees deeper, but you will not have to retie the knot as much from the braid to swivel. But say your fishng for 60-100lb bluefins at the hambone off ocean city and u wanna pull 80s, u might use two 80s with mono and #8 or #12 planars, you wont be able to pop the planar up, but you will get your bait and planar further away from the boat at a certain depth where as with braid u would have to use a smaller planar or pull the bait closer to the oat to achieve that same depth, but you want the mono so that you pull less fish off, these are just examples, i mean there are as many ways to fish for largemouth bass as there are to fish for blue marlins, take inm what people say, and use what u think will work on your boat, not anybody elses

·
Registered
223 Posts
Braid, Braid, and more braid. Lost 2 nice fish last year fishing Va beach (50 lb mono). Knot gonna loose any more like that. Worth a few tangle's not to loose the best fishes of the season. When the fishing get's slow and you know you are on em, Pick a trolling rod full of braid and employ a jigging action to a trolled bait. No strecth and can trick them tricky fishes in bitting.:rockon:

·
Registered
943 Posts
Both,
put one on one rod and the other on the other.
See what you like.
I run the mono long and the braid a little closer.
Just make sure you have a nice leader to leader the fish.
and by the way I'd like to see a Striper try to break my 50lb Andy. not gonna happen.
Tie it right and test before use.

Les

·
Registered
708 Posts
rockfish are pretty

and good to eat, and sometime BIG, but they aint hard fighters. Never had one break my line except hooking 10 pounders on bass tackle in the rapids on the James at Richmond. Mono for the bay area troll for me, but I do agree with some of the positive comments on good applications for the braid...

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
I can tell you for trolling for striper I will be switching my two wire line rods (Use for right behind the boat with heavy mojos' to Braid. Spinning tackle is now going to briad with 10' section of mono top shot. My longer lines will stay mono.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I like the braid for 3-way rigs, and mono for pulling Stretchs. Have always liked a bit more stretch in lines with plugs. Braid does cut the water better and get down deeper.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts