Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So maybe I didn't pick the best weekend to fish Montauk from a boat. Our guide canceled on us via an email and we didn't get it until we had fished all day at the point and were back in the hotel. On Saturday the wind wasn't bad although I did ask a few guys at the tackle shop how do you fish in all this wind. They replied, "Wind... what wind?" You know, the 20-25mph NE wind that's blowing right now. Apparently, that's nothing and apparently, for a die hard surf fishermen, there's nothing better than the two words put together in a sentence. Northeast wind is pure heaven. So I asked another local about what I should and where should I go on Sunday to dodge the big blow that was coming. He said, there's nothing better than a strong NE wind at the point. I didn't realize until I came back to the hotel mid morning to lick my wounds and have some chowda to chase away the bone chill I had contrived that it was blowing 45 kts out of the NE with 22 foot seas in places.

Only the most hard core of guys fish Montauk. When you see guys wearing full wet suits over the heads and body, corkers that look like they were meant for climbing Mount Everest, a small plug bag with a few bucktails and a few trusty plugs, pliers, boga grip and some rope, then head out into a NE wind with waves crashing on and all around them, you know this is the place for the hard core? What are they thinking? Then you see it, they are heading for that school bus size boulder 200 yards offshore. What in the ..... Is this what I read about? Is this squishiming? (SP?)? Some guys were actually swimming, stumbling, floating out to these boulders to fish off of. And for good reason. It didn't' take them long to hook up with bubba. The amazing thing was watching them get back to shore with a fish as big as they were.

Anyway, a NE wind is what you want for that place. Just because your guide cancels on you, and Francis is not up in Long Island, don't give up. I couldn't help thinking where the heck is Francis when my guide canceled on me for a second day in a row when one weather station was reporting 15mph NW winds? He told me that was one out of 4 weather stations and all the others were reporting major wind for Monday even. But I wasn't discouraged and was still determined to get some fishing in. You just need to Wear some slicks, or waders, some corkers (spiked sandals), some Gore-Tex and have at it. The fish will be blitzing at your feet when the wind is from the NE.

I think I earned some right up passage to have survived and fished a Nor'easter in Montauk. It was about as hardcore as it gets and I bow down to some of those guys. But wow was it fun.

A first timers walk down. Little did I know there was a much faster way than this.

Haven't been there for ten minutes and look who shows up to the party. Here they come!!!!! The birds were out there in force all day every day but only occasionally would hit the shore. The mornings were a gaurantee for beach blitzes but there's only one beach. It mostly giant boulders.

Another blitz on the first afternoon. This is the furthest eastern tip of the point. We had ten foot waves crashing over us constantly but all I could do and the guy next to me was laugh. Life is a whole lot better when you are constantly hooked up.

This guy actually fell off this rock but jumped right back on it. I did that a few times too but any of those waves could have been the end of you.

Looking east at the tip of the point during the major blow. Where's the boats? No fiberglass jetties out there today.

If you want the wife to fish with you, you have to outfit her properly. So I did, she got some white pimp boots. She obviously didn't fish all that much as I did most of my fishing before she woke up. But she did give it a go a few times and I have to commend her for that.

Sunset on the first day. Check out the guy to the right, he's easily 100 yards offshore.

This picture was taken from the same place as the picture above but it was on Sunday morning during the major blow.

This is what happens when the winds shift more to the east. No more beach on turtle cove.

In the end it was a great trip and an excellent birthday present from an awesome wife.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Nic pics and story. Thanks for sharing. Way to hang in there too! :thumbup:

·
Registered
739 Posts
Great, that place was also a destination in my RI trip but the boat
of my buddy went out of action prematurely due to engine problems.

In hindsight that was a lucky thing because on the day we planned to
run from RI to Montauk ik was calm in the morning and very windy
in the afternoon.
I guess the trip back home with that bathtub my buddy calls boat would
have been hell.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Nice!!

Great story and pics and congrats on your selection of life partner!! I was up in Montauk a few weeks back when Hurricane /T.S Hanna was tracking east of the area. The coasties had to go in and rescue 5 surfisherman that were pulled out to sea in the huge swell........now I know why! We were on a downeaster in the rips and had a scary moment when a 15-20 swell decided to crest and threw the crew (and coolers) accross the deck......no one was hurt and we moved away from this area!! I will be sure to bring my surf fishing gear as plan b next time like you!!

·
Premium Member
26,103 Posts
I've read about the guys who wear a wetsuit and swim out at night.Bad part is - I see nothing strange about that :D.

Great story and the pictures really add to it :clapping2:. Any women who goes out in that slop is worth holding on to :thumbup:.

If you play your cards right- perhaps repay her with a trip in Febuary to somewhere warm that just happens to offer good fishing ;-).

What the hell is CHOWDA ? :D

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I never leave home without a full arsenal, just in case some other options might present themselves. I knew I was going to be surf fishing but also brought 3 fly rods that never saw the light of day. Kind of hard to throw a fly into a wind that tosses back a 2oz bucktail in your face casted off an 8' tica with 50 pound braid. That sucker should have landed in Connecticut but with that wind it didn't want to go where I was sending it. The only thing I wish I did was fish at night under the light. But I had to spend sometime with my wife. We hit up some watering holes, even got off the water to watch the skins game (she's a bigger fan than I am). But the whole time during the game I had one eye out the window of the bar to watch some plant pots handing from the oning. I kept thinking, as soon as they settle down, I'm out of here. Well, they didn't. So I ate more CHOWDA (clam chowder), drank more Brooklyn ale and hit up first light while my wife got to sleep off a hangover.

I saw some sport fishing boats that looked like offshore tuna boats working the rips on Saturday, on the first day. But the only light tackle boat and the only boat that stayed with the birds once things started to get snotty that afternoon was a Cat. With twin Honda engines I might add. The guide said anything over 10kts out of the north is usually a no go for most boats.

Here's the cat.

This is the same guy who fell off his rock. He was wearing waders, not a wet suit. I can't believe he tried to climb back on. When I did that I stepped back or left for more CHOWDA

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Great pix and story. You gotta keeper with the wife:thumbup:

I spent Sat on Assateague in similar conditions...NE winds at 40+. Couldn't get 10 oz of lead or sputniks to hold. Had to cast and walk down the beach as the rig washed in. We watched a guys tool box lift up and blow out of the back of his pickup:eek:

VIKING FISHING is a blast!

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
Great report and pictures. Nice way to hang in there. We were going to go there last weekend also, but wimped out when we saw the forecast. And since it was a present from your wife, make sure you take her to Paris or something because you got a keeper there.:D

·
Super Subscriber - I support TidalFish.com
1,109 Posts
Very well said Shawn.... But you forgot to add.... "and your mom dresses you funny." :52::52::52: I am not jealous.... I am not jealous... I am not jealous...

·
Registered
87 Posts
I couldn't help thinking where the heck is Francis when my guide canceled on me for a second day in a row when one weather station was reporting 15mph NW winds?
Jon, All you had to do was call! Just kidding man, it looks like you had a blast out there even without a boat. Those looked like some serious waves. Great pictures!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts