Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the area and looking to do some bowhunting. I've hunted private property for 20+ yeasrs, but I've never hunted public land before - cash is real tight & that might be the only option this year. Anyone know if there are any worth while places to bow hunt in the Montgomery/Prince Georges Co. area?

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Public Hunting Lands: Guide to Hunting & Trapping in Maryland 2008-2009

Seneca Creek State Park

Kind of hard to beat Seneca Creek park but you'll need a managed hunt permit. Check out the maps, go for a scout.

I was in a tree yesterday morning and saw a LOT of activity. Three bucks came within range in the first hour of light. One of them was really ticked off and big too but he winded me just as he cleared a branch and presented a shot. The other was directly below me and we had a stare down contest. he won when I drew but wow was that exciting. The time is NOW!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well it's always exciting to hear other hunter's stories of big bucks/deer activity. Too bad you weren't able to stick the big guy. Anyway, I'm sure you don't want to give away your honey-hole, but can you give me any guidance on what section of the Park to hunt - it's pretty big, as I understand it. Also, what do I have to do to get a managed hunt permit.

I do have a few duck/goose hunting spots, so maybe I can trade a hunt for some info. on bowhunting the public land?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
13,945 Posts
Mikea, Go to Seneca Creek State Park on Clopper Rd and see Walt. He is the manager of the park and will set you up to hunt. You can not hunt in the day use area where the visitor center is. There is another public hunting area on Long Corner Rd. You can also access it from Rt 27 and Brown Church Rd. Mckee Beshers is another area off of River Rd. The only one you need a permit for is Seneca............Gary

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Map of Riffle Ford Road to Black Rock Road Bow Hunting Area at Seneca Creek State Park

Map of Berryville Road to Montevideo Road Bow Hunting Area at Seneca Creek State Park

Map of River Road Hunting Area at Seneca Creek State Park

All these are excellent from what I hear. I'm only just getting into bow hunting but do a lot of fishing on the Creek too. Information about the permit is posted in these links. For best success, set up right on one of the parks hiking trails. The deer use these heavily traveled trails.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
The Montogmery County/Howard County border along routes 94 and 97 is home to Patuxant State Park.

It's beautiful place to bowhunt but nightmarish during shotgun seson, Somewhere in between during Blackpowder.

Lots of planted fields, corn and soybean, river bottom, thickets, oak stands. A little bit of everything.

Chris

·
Registered
657 Posts
Patuxant State Park:

Great place if you like tree hugging horse back riders with bells. Hunters crammed in every place where there is not a rose thorn thicket, shooting at every bush that moves. Good luck at not getting shot by some drunk red neck squirrel or rabbit hunter.
F- it, you might as well go to a gun range or M Beschers. Mont. County Hunt areas suck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts