Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope to see everyone at West End grill (West street) at 7 pm - Weds night :thumbup:.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I support TidalFish.com
693 Posts
Escaping that last thread, which John V. so sweetly hijacked, I'd like to hear how many folks might be interested in ways to learn more about how our river works and how we can help the bad parts of it get better.

We've got a lot of good contacts and friends, from our own Goose on the Severn River Commission and the water quality monitoring folks at the Severn Riverkeeper organization to Marty Gary at DNR, who thinks we're a great club, and CBF's Oyster Wrangler, Stephanie Reynolds. Our river is in many ways very healthy (especially the grass beds), but it also has a serious summertime dead zone that affects our fish & crabs.

Our emphasis should always be first on fishing, but this kind of stuff can actually hone our skills and improve our fish stocks. What do you think? And thanks for asking for ideas, Skip.

I have to attend another meeting till 8:30 tomorrow evening, but I'll see you guys there for the second shift.

Best, JPW

·
Registered
7,541 Posts
I think that's a gret idea, JP. I'm certainly no expert, but the other folks that you mentioned (plus you) certainly are.

I understand that we do not want to become a political action organaization, and I think that's a good idea. I think that staying as a simple, informal fishing club has allowed us to steer clear of some of the drama that has plagued other clubs (that's not to criticize those other clubs, but simply to note that our club serves a different purpose).

At the same time, however, I agree that it doesn't hurt to learn about facts concerning the Severn, both in case anyone wants to take further action on their own or with another organization, and because those facts really do impact our fishing, and understanding them can make us better at our hobby.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
It only makes sense for the Severn River Rod and Keg Club to be involved in helping the Severn River remain a viable fishery. I also agree that we need to steer clear of any / all politically charged issues, as Goose has said.

Though that distinction can often get murky (one person's "helpful cause" is another person's "arch enemy"), I think we've done a pretty good job of telling the difference so far (and any time we've strayed too close to the line the SRRKC membership has not hesitated to speak up loud and clear to let us know :D)

·
Registered
7,541 Posts
I was going to propose that the SRRKC become a subsidiary of PETA....I hope that I'm not crossing a line.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
"I'm not catching fish... I'm just taking them for a walk on a really long leash"
From the PETA or other ultra-green perspective, fishing may seem to be a pretty hideous pasttime.

What is our carbon footprint to drive to the launch ramp with a gas guzzler, then run our boats burning yet more precious fossil fuels? On top of that environmental hazard, our goal is to torture helpless animals by puncturing their lips and mouths, then removing their slime layers just for egotistical photo ops. Dare I mention the horrors of cutting up live bloodworms so we can catch innocent spot that are in turn murdered to support our evil ways.

From that somewhat warped point of view, we could change the club name to the Severn River Murder, Pillage, Torture, and Keg Club or SRMPTKC. Somehow, I don't think that will catch on. Let's just stick to fishing and beer drinking. :fishing2::chugbeer::beergood:

·
Registered
7,541 Posts
If I ever start a bike gang I will keep that name in mind!

·
Registered
7,541 Posts

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
:jackthread:

Oops... I think yet another "serious" thread has been hijacked... sorry J.P. :eek:

Don't worry - I do believe the bretheren are on board ;-)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts