Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Natural Resources Police officers recovered another 1,500 yards of illegal fishing net containing 300 pounds of striped bass Wednesday night in Eastern Bay off Kent Island.

This is the eighth time in three weeks that patrol boats dragging grappling hooks have snagged submerged nets. The total length of confiscated nets is 5.5 miles and the weight of the poached striped bass, also known as rockfish, is 12.6 tons.

NRP Sgt. Art Windemuth said the latest nets had been in the water for some time because officers found decomposing mud shad in them along with live striped bass. The striped bass were donated to a Kent Island charity that distributes food.

Available now -- get the new Baltimore Sun Android app!

Meanwhile, Department of Natural Resources officials are trying to decide whether to reopen commercial gill netting for the final two days of the season next week. The agency closed the season on Feb. 4 after the initial 10 tons of fish was hauled in, fearing the state could exceed its monthly quota.

With 200,000 pounds of fish remaining in the quota, watermen are demanding that they be allowed to fish Tuesday and Wednesday. The Tidal Fish Advisory Commission, consisting largely of commercial interests, is expected to take up the issue at its meeting tonight in Annapolis.

On Tuesday night, the Sport Fish Advisory Commission voted unanimously to recommend keeping the season closed.

DNR officials are expected to make a decision Friday.

[email protected]

The DNR stated that the season would remain closed until all of the illegal nets were found. They are still finding nets so let's see how they roll. I hope they are true to their words and can keep recovering these nets............Gary

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Perfect timing for tonight's meeting. Sure could use some company there..............................................Mark
Is the meeting open to the public, and will public comments be heard? Just curious since it seems this is a commercially oriented meeting.
Pat in Joppa

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Wherever they look, it seems they find more. This has got to stop. Reopening the gillnet fishery at this point would be madness.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
They better stay out of EB or I'm going to give Guido a call.:nono:

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
You can bet if they keep the net season closed that the honest guys will roll over on these SOB's that are STEALING from everyone else. $20,000 in your pocket will feed your family for a good bit.
BTW -- If the DNR wants help draggin hooks --- I'll be glad to join them!

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Pat..............last 15 minutes of meeting is reserved for public comment. Don't know if it will make a difference, but I've got to at least give my .02 cents worth.................Mark

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool
6,372 Posts
COME ON DNR. I KNOW YOU GUYS ARE working hard to find these things But IT obivously IS a MUCH bigger problem than anyone could have thought. You NEED help from the Local juristictions to monitor and grapel/drag survelience boats day and night especially large enough ones that could carry nets of these sizes.PLEASE for the LOVE of the Resource ASK for MAJOR help AT the Governors office. I'm sure Martin is as pissed about this blatent disreguard for the law AND THE waste of our finite and oh so precous resouce being wasted.THE ENTIRE EAST COAST is watching how our state handels this Commercial fishery problem that WILL NOT GO AWAY. THIS sure explains some PISS POOR previous Seasons.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Management wise if they decide to keep the season closed this may be the only time that the quota wasn’t exceeded for this sector in the bay. What people should be pissed about is if this year’s summer fishery turns out to be phenomenal. We may have a clue to what is impacting our juvenile resident fish. Maryland hasn’t had accurate control of the net fishery in Maryland since it began. I am starting to question if they even can control the industry with the blatant disregard the poachers are showing for the law enforcement.

It’s going to take a lot to break the culture that encompasses the behavior.

·
Premium Member
26,248 Posts
IMHO - If DNR does open the net season back up - you can bet the poachers will pull up any remaining nets.

DNR has said in the past they do what is best for the fishery. Common sense says to leave the net season closed and allow 200,000 lbs of fish to live another year.

Tough that the honest netters have to pay back fish stolen by poachers but in long run , best for the fishery.

If DNR measurements are correct and they have found 5.5 MILES of gill net - that's about the span of the bay bridge.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I wonder if this early net setting has been going on for years. I can imagine the guys that do this starting setting a net the night before and then the next year the other guys sets two days before just so he is first. I can also imagine those guys thinking well it is not a big deal. We are harvesting the fish in season. A few years go by and here we are..............
I think there may be many people complicit with the early setting of nets.
Just my opinion.
Uncle Bob

·
Registered
14,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Illegal nets were found last year and the year before. This is just the first year that it has gotten all the media attention. I hope the party is over!........Gary

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Fairly obvious that the setters of these illegal nets are staying away from them for fear of getting caught. Since DNR uses commercial boats at times to plant seed oysters, catch and tag fish etc. why don't they just request recrecreational anglers to use their boats to assist in searching for illegal nets. Think about it. You start as far up a river as is feasible. You line the boats accross the river 50 yards apart and drag hooks. Travel down the river to the bay. Start with the Chester, then the Choptank, Nanticoke etc. Wouldn't reaslly require that many boats. Do the same on the Pax and Potomac. From what I read on Tidalfish there wouldn't be any problems getting Tidalfishers involved. At 6 miles an hour we'd cover 48 miles of river that should certainly find them all.

Just my 2cents worth.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Damn they keep digging a deeper hole for themselves but something tells me these guys do not have licenses or there very stupid waterman

1 - 20 of 26 Posts